intermittent charge light

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
seboroth

intermittent charge light

Post by seboroth »

Hey all, I know that there has been alot of alternator questions asked, but I searched and couldn't find anything to help me out here. Now, it has a mind of its own, it most notably occurred when driving on the highway for 3 hours(don't do much highway driving) and the charge light would stay on and go off and then flicker and come on out of nowhere. Mind of its own. I've replaced the alternator 3 years ago, and has a brand new battery, connections are tight and I have dielectric grease on the terminals. Also just put on a new alternator belt thinking that it was too old and was slipping. The belt was bad, but now it still does it now and then, doesn't matter if i'm accelerating or decelerating. It also doesn't have a certain rpm range that it happens most in. Got a feeling that the alternator is going again, but I would like to see what you all think. Let me know.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1986 bmw 325e-rust in peace
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: intermittent charge light

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Take your car to an auto parts store and have the electrical system checked. They will tell you if your alternator, rectifier, regulator and battery are good or not.
The charge light lights up when the voltage on the battery falls under a given value, so my guess would be that your system is now working right at that threshold, and the natural instabilities in the system are giving you that seemingly crazy on/off action.

My money is on the battery... :)
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

really, but I just put a new battery in three months ago. And it was doing this with the old battery in it too.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
Inodoro Pereyra

seboroth wrote:really, but I just put a new battery in three months ago. And it was doing this with the old battery in it too.
Hmmm, you didn't say that before. Way to get me goin'... :lol:
It can be a number of things. Having the system checked will tell you if the major components are in good shape. If they are, and the battery has good voltage, it can also be s false contact, or a big a$$ short circuit (unlikely, but everything is possible).

The most important thing nobody seems to understand is electrical issues are seldom easy to diagnose without testing. I see this at work every day: people coming to have a battery, alternator or starter replaced, just to find out, upon testing, that the part is in perfect shape.

You need to troubleshoot your electrical system. If you're lucky, it'll be the alternator, and you'll have it fixed in a snap. If you're not, and all the major components are good, you may be in for a loooong few days... :shrug:

Diogenes of Sinope.
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

well, I'll check stuff though, I was thinking about one of those hyper ground kits or a home made equivalent, just to make sure things are grounded properly. Till then I'll keep driving her, hasn't died on me yet.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
Inodoro Pereyra

Upgrading the grounds is always a good thing, but making changes on a car is a double edged sword.
I would FIRST concentrate on fixing the problem, and then upgrade the grounds. Otherwise, once you start getting difficulties on your repair, you'll always be looking sideways at your new grounds.

Diogenes of Sinope.
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

true that. It hasn't been bugging me latly, but i'm not holding my breath. Well see what happens as time moves on. Thanks for the help.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
Inodoro Pereyra

Anytime... :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When I've seen that light be intermitent it's usually because the regulator is on it's way out. Ironicly, I've had it where it stayed on a low-rpms and eventually fixed itself after about a week, twice! The 3rd time it finally went and I could definitely tell since the light stayed on followed by the smell of burnt electronics/capacitor.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

Haven't had that smell yet, but i'll keep my noise tuned for it.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”