first time driving stories?

Off-Topic Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

first time driving stories?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

So I'm just curious if anyone has any "stories" about when they first started driving. I sadly do not (well, maybe that's a good thing LOL), but today I was able to take my VR4 and learn how to drive stick. It was tricky as heck just because of how powerful the car was, and the fact that it did NOT like that I was trying to go slow with it LOL... but after a few times I got the hang of it and so.. while I still need to get used to a few things (mainly, going from first and reverse while on a hill), I am getting good at it. And I must say it was so sweet actually driving the stick shift. And it made me comfortable for when I get my manual swapped in.

but yeah anyone got any stories?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: first time driving stories?

Post by Mnemonic »

i drove around in circles in a funeral home parking lot while trying to learn how to use a manual... Come to think of it now I relies it was a sign for that car as it died 2 weeks later, its life taken by the deer who just so happen to jump out in front of me...

I still to this day have yet to kill that deer for taking my rabbit convertible... 3 months later he decided to jump out in front of my truck I had bought... I hit him this time, but the thing got up an ran away...

I know your out there deer, I will get you.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

My 86 Nissan pickup was given to me by my pops.

He had some idiot "rebuild" the engine and it never worked properly, so he left it in the yard.

Eight years later, I need a vehicle, he tells me I can have the truck. Gee, thanks.

The truck was in the following condition:
Eight year old tires oil everything.

Driveshaft yoke was almost completely broken off, just sorta hanging on a portion of the shaft.

Thing vibrated like a MONSTER. Hit around 55 and you can't hear the person talk next to you

timing was significantly off

the "fast idle" adjustment wasn't set, didn't idle until it was warmed up

The fuel pump relay shuts off randomly

I had never driven a standard before.

No battery.

OK so I worked with my dad, so he tells me to take the truck to work.
He removes the battery out of his van, puts it in the truck, starts it up and removes it.
The closest auto store is 45 minutes away (WAY out in the country)
I have no windshield wipers AT ALL

and it's going to rain...

And my dad simply tells me, "Don't stall it."

He doesn't follow me to the parts store either. Thanks, dad!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

First time I drove manual I drove a beat up 1980-something Chevette. That doesn't seem so bad except for the fact that reverse gear was to the left and up, putting it right beside first. And the shifter was pretty broken, so putting it in first was next to impossible, I had to learn to drive stick taking off from 3nd gear because something in my brain didn't click and tell me that you can also use 2nd. :lol:

My first time driving was driving one of my friend's beaters in a field, he's had so many that I don't even remember what it was.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

It's funny because I always imagined the best way to drive a stick for the first time was with a beater... and here I am learning of a vr4 :lol:
Savin

Post by Savin »

Oh wow, I don't have anything that interesting. The first manual car I tried to drive was my brother's '90 mx-6. I was maybe 14 or 15 and the concept of having to press all 3 pedals a the same time confused me. It wouldn't stay running so you had to.

First actual driving experience was in the mx-3. Mother thought taking street corners at 20mph was a little too fast. I thought the car was more than capable! blown struts on dropzones? come on! Perfect handling setup! On bald tires with the steel belts showing too! :wink:
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

First time I drove my mom kept making me nervous and I ended up reversing into some ladies front lawn while making a U-Turn. The lady was cool about it since I didnt damage any grass.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Well, my first time was nowhere near as glamorous...
I was 11, and after a LOOOOT of begging, my dad finally agreed to let me take the car off the garage.
So, excited as hell, I sat on the driver's seat, put reverse, and to avoid stalling it (I didn't want to look bad in front of my dad), I started to ease on the clutch while I gave the throttle a fairly good shove. At that precise moment, when the car started moving (somehow violently), my mind went completely blank. So, there was my dad, in the passenger seat, yelling "BRAKE, BRAKE", and me completely frozen, pushing the clutch down with all my strength. When he finally crossed his leg on top of mine, and hit the brake, the car stopped less than 4 inches away from the neighbor's door.

It took me 4 more years of begging for him to let me drive again, and then I hit a horse...
Last edited by Inodoro Pereyra on July 26th, 2009, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I made a 86 cavalier type car look like a 6-FO, almost had the front tires coming off the ground it was bucking so hard!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I never had a hard time learning. First time was at a campground when I was 11. Was in my dad's old late-70's Impala Wagon. I didn't go far, just down the street and back. Since then, I used to drive it when we went picking veggies at farms, I used to aim to run over the tomatoes on the path, or deliberately put them in my path, lol. When I got my beginners, I didn't like to drive with my dad, he made me nervous. There was one time I remember I was pulling into the driveway, and according to him I was turning in too shallow and he yanked the e-brake.
Dark_Rider2k3 wrote: It was tricky as heck just because of how powerful the car was, and the fact that it did NOT like that I was trying to go slow with it LOL
First time I drove stick was when I test drove the Mx-3. No joke, the owner taught me. I didn't do too bad, had a hard time starting on an incline when I stopped to turn around in a lot. After I got it, I only stalled it once on the way home. Before I was to pick up the car, my mom's friend was suppose to come along in case I couldn't get it home. I kept on stalling her Kia, a good dozen times trying to get started after turning around to head back home.

I found it easier to teach on a car with more power. It doesn't require as much gas-clutch finess, where all they basically need to do is ease off the clutch and the car will pull itself along. I taught my sister on my ZE Mx-3, and I tought my cousin last year on the Xterra.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on July 27th, 2009, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I found it easier to teach on a car with more power. It doesn't require as much gas-clutch finess, where all they basically need to do is ease off the gas and the car will pull itself along. I taught my sister on my ZE Mx-3, and I tought my cousin last year on the Xterra.
That's so true, I drove my friend's stock SE and my ZE, and the ZE was just about nearly impossible to stall. Even if I screwed up and let off the clutch too quickly it'll just go down to around 200 rpm but it won't stop moving and stall, so I can just press in the clutch. And I don't even use the gas when I'm reversing unless there's in incline.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “Off-Topic”