MX-3 Resale Value

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Ezee
antispam: No

MX-3 Resale Value

Post by Ezee »

I just bought an automatic V4 95 MX-3 off of a friend, he gave me a good deal. I just needed something quick, but I plan on selling it as soon as I get some money for a 5 speed V6 MX-3. Anyway, I was wondering about basic, low cost mods I could do to increase the car value. I already plan on installing an aftermarket stereo system but what mods are going to give me the most value for the lowest price. For the record, there is a big market of wanna be tuners who will buy a car just because it has aftermarket parts, regardless of anything else, so there is little risk I'm going to decrease the value.
Mx3Kid16

Re: MX-3 Resale Value

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

i want a v-4 hahha

the best way to make it have good resale value...

put an extremly loud exhaust on it.
Cut the springs and dump it on its nutz.
Tear out the interior.
Delete the AC and Power Steering.

look. you just made a $1000 worth about 3000

good job :bowdown:
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

if your market is rice tuners, you could get some altezza lights off ebay and put a crappy loud raspy exhaust, they seem to like that, maybe some nice looking cheap rims, that's a start

FYI it's I-4 (inline 4)
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Where are you that has a "big market for tuner cars cause they have after market parts??" I know around here if you mod the car.... you decrease the value... and most ppl won't touch it since they look at it as it has probly been beat on.... :shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Modding the car, even for performance will lower it's value. The most valuable example of any vehicle is the cleanest, best running stock example available. Fix everything you can in the interior. Get the engine running as smoothly as possible. Make sure the brakes work. Avoid buying a bunch of new parts if you're planning to sell it. Do your best to get the existing parts to work properly.

Clean the living crap out of it and put a realistic price tag on it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I doubt you would ever be able to get back what you put in. These cars are fixed up and pimped because we love them. I know my car is worth much more to me than any other person out there. Do to it what you want, just don't expect the same respect from anyone our side our forum family.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

colinsmx3 wrote:Where are you that has a "big market for tuner cars cause they have after market parts??" I know around here if you mod the car.... you decrease the value... and most ppl won't touch it since they look at it as it has probly been beat on.... :shrug:

so true, even something as light as a aftermarket shift knob is enough to make me think its been beaten on. god forbid it had a crappy sub and some nos seat covers, take it for a test drive and when you start the car the radio is already blasting...
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Stock, clean. Same as everyone else says. I shy straight away from modified cars, because I know people do sketchy work, and I don't want to deal with that. Maybe OEM upgrades, like putting in power windows or locks (properly).
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed. Cleanliness and proper maintenance and appearance are the 2 best things you can do for resale. A car with mods but runs like crap and looks like s--- will just scream neglect and abuse.

I've never seen a stereo add value, they're usually thrown in to sweeten the deal or for the simple fact that it's easier than returning it back to stock.

I would say a nice paintjob would increase it's value by alot since most Mx-3's now are old, worn and rusting away, but probably less than what it would cost to actually get it painted unless you got the car for almost nothing. Upgraded suspension that's done properly (not cut/heated springs and stock struts, and properly aligned) with some nice rims would help, but you'll probably spend $1000 on rims and tires, and you may get $500 back extra from the car, at best.

Trust me, and I'm parting out my car, you never get back what you put into a car, it's a lose-lose situation. Only do it for your own personal pleasure and satisfaction. Anything you do what would increase it's value would mean you actually lose money in the end. Anything that's cheap is just that, cheap, and will more likely decrease the car's value.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Indeed. Cleanliness and proper maintenance and appearance are the 2 best things you can do for resale. A car with mods but runs like crap and looks like s--- will just scream neglect and abuse.

I've never seen a stereo add value, they're usually thrown in to sweeten the deal or for the simple fact that it's easier than returning it back to stock.

I would say a nice paintjob would increase it's value by alot since most Mx-3's now are old, worn and rusting away, but probably less than what it would cost to actually get it painted unless you got the car for almost nothing. Upgraded suspension that's done properly (not cut/heated springs and stock struts, and properly aligned) with some nice rims would help, but you'll probably spend $1000 on rims and tires, and you may get $500 back extra from the car, at best.

Trust me, and I'm parting out my car, you never get back what you put into a car, it's a lose-lose situation. Only do it for your own personal pleasure and satisfaction. Anything you do what would increase it's value would mean you actually lose money in the end. Anything that's cheap is just that, cheap, and will more likely decrease the car's value.
+1
Cars:

2006 Mustang GT-- 12.5 @ 112 mph; NSR Stage II Cams, CMCV Delete Plates, GT500 Throttle Body, U/D pullies, JLT Intake, MAC Headers, O/R X Pipe, Borla Stingers, 4.10 Gears, Hurst Shifter, FRPP Springs, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Power Steering Delete, Brembo Brakes, Chrome Grille, Cervinis Chin Spoiler, GT500 18" Wheels, Blacked Out Lights, and much much more.

2006 Mercury Mariner V6-DD
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8 SE-Wife
1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

United States Marine Corps
Ezee

Post by Ezee »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I think what I might do is buy some cheap, easy to install bolt on parts to attract the ricer crowd, and clean it up real well. If the person who decides to buy it isn't into all of that, I'll replace/remove the parts and sell it to them at a reduced cost. I'll keep the parts for my next car. What would you say is a good price for a 95 with almost no rust, nothing wrong with it, no dings, 180,000 km. On a scale of 1 -10, after I clean it up a bit I'd probably say it is a 7.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I really nice 4cyl auto car might get $2500 - 3000 in Alberta. A "7" is probably worth $2k tops. That ricer crap is a total waste of money. You might as well burn it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

To tell you the truth. 1,500$ these cars dont seem to sell very high at all.
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Post up some pics would help to let us know how the car is.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Ezee wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I think what I might do is buy some cheap, easy to install bolt on parts to attract the ricer crowd, and clean it up real well. If the person who decides to buy it isn't into all of that, I'll replace/remove the parts and sell it to them at a reduced cost. I'll keep the parts for my next car. What would you say is a good price for a 95 with almost no rust, nothing wrong with it, no dings, 180,000 km. On a scale of 1 -10, after I clean it up a bit I'd probably say it is a 7.
As everybody here has said, DO NOT install "easy bolt on parts to attract the ricer crowd". Please, we don't need any more POS Mx-3's around to tarnish the car's image.

:idea: Although it may make mine look better by comparison... proceed with the original plan.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”