Not to beat a dead horse ... but i still need help

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Suresperance

Not to beat a dead horse ... but i still need help

Post by Suresperance »

Okay so from my other thread some of you may know I have a huge vibration making the car all but drivable. I know its alot to read but please just bear with me I'm desperate. Here is a list of things I KNOW its not.

Tires or wheels( i ran it with two different sets and had the same problem)

Shocks(i had a rear snapped in half seemed to fix the problem but it came back)

I have new ball joints ready to go on, the boots on both sides are torn but dont have any play so i doubt thats the problem.

I have new tie rod ends same story as the ball joints, torn boots but no play

The wheel bearings seem to be making some noise but would that make the whole car shake?

Also after hitting bumps I hear clunks and the rear shakes side to side hard some times.

All this only seemed to come about after I did my motor swap a second time I drove the car a few months ago and it drove just fine

The only thing I did different between motor swaps was after this one I remembered to install the cross member that goes between the control arms

Any ideas are welcome. If I cant figure it out I'm going to have to take it to a shop and drop alot of money on it, since it needs an inspection and needs a few things for it to pass on top of what ever the problem is.
RED CAR: 94 MX-3 GS soon to be GS-R Engine: K8 weapon R intake, racing cat, pacesetter exhaust, 8.5 MM wires. Suspension and Breaks: Ground control coilovers, KYB GR2 struts, front and rear strut bars, crossdrilled rotors. Wheels and tires: ADV revolution 17" with Fuzion ZRI rubber. Body: Mazdaspeed front bumper, brand new paint job. Interior: X2 racing seats w/ 4 Pt harnesses, underglow under the dash, carbon fibre gauge bezel, reverse glow gauges, Painted trim Stereo: sony xplod head unit, pioneer 3 ways all around, rockford fosgate amp, lightning audio 1 farad capacitor, dual eclipse 12" subs. WHITE CAR: 93 MX-3 GS-R Engine: KL-ZE weapon R intake, SS autochrome headers, racing cat, 2.25 echaust with dual fartcan, curved neck intake and TB, intake and TB spacers, Stage 3 six puck clutch, 8.5 MM wires ordering fidanza flywheel this week. Suspension and Breaks: STOCK. Wheels and tires: STOCK with 225 bfgoodrich euro T/A rubber. Body: STOCK nasty and dirty car sat for four years before i brought it back to life, hood scoop. Interior: STRIPPED Stereo: Pioneer head unit, infinity 3 ways all around, rock ford fosgate amp, single 12" rockford punch sub
nightridergsr

Re: Not to beat a dead horse ... but i still need help

Post by nightridergsr »

A bad wheel bearing would make the car vibrate when it gets up some speed. But the clunks when you hit bumps, and the weight shifting side to side sounds like something in the suspension. Your coilsprings are all ok? I read about a recall on MX3's having bad coilsprings, and people having problems with them breaking in half, like you described. It could be one thing, or, a combination of things. Like a bad wheel bearing and bad struts in the rear, or, a bad wheel bearing and broken coilspring in the rear. I'd check out your wheel bearings, coilsprings and struts.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

What kind of shaking are we talking about here? What speeds? Front or rear? Can you feel it in the wheel or through the car itself?
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

it has new (new to me) stock struts in the rear with new to me stock coils all around ( i have ksports on order should be here next week but i wanna get this worked out before i put them on)

it is at all speeds over 20 really and it does get worse with speed. the shaking is in the rear end and not noticeable in the wheel( i think) it happened when pulling out of a parking spot i hit a little bump where it went from gravel to pavement and the whole rear end shook pretty bad and made some funny clunking noises but when im driving in a straight line the clunk seems to come from the front (again i think i get nervous as hell when i drive it like this so im not positive)

the shaking is most noticeable in turns mostly when i turn the wheel to the right
RED CAR: 94 MX-3 GS soon to be GS-R Engine: K8 weapon R intake, racing cat, pacesetter exhaust, 8.5 MM wires. Suspension and Breaks: Ground control coilovers, KYB GR2 struts, front and rear strut bars, crossdrilled rotors. Wheels and tires: ADV revolution 17" with Fuzion ZRI rubber. Body: Mazdaspeed front bumper, brand new paint job. Interior: X2 racing seats w/ 4 Pt harnesses, underglow under the dash, carbon fibre gauge bezel, reverse glow gauges, Painted trim Stereo: sony xplod head unit, pioneer 3 ways all around, rockford fosgate amp, lightning audio 1 farad capacitor, dual eclipse 12" subs. WHITE CAR: 93 MX-3 GS-R Engine: KL-ZE weapon R intake, SS autochrome headers, racing cat, 2.25 echaust with dual fartcan, curved neck intake and TB, intake and TB spacers, Stage 3 six puck clutch, 8.5 MM wires ordering fidanza flywheel this week. Suspension and Breaks: STOCK. Wheels and tires: STOCK with 225 bfgoodrich euro T/A rubber. Body: STOCK nasty and dirty car sat for four years before i brought it back to life, hood scoop. Interior: STRIPPED Stereo: Pioneer head unit, infinity 3 ways all around, rock ford fosgate amp, single 12" rockford punch sub
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

How are you suspension bushings? Rear ones, specifically. If rear shakes side to side, then there's some horisonal play. Take a close look at your lateral links and trailing arm nuts, bolts, and bushings.
SstennizZ

Post by SstennizZ »

And dont forget the topmounts on the rear shocks!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

FWIW, I have a KL ZE which had a bad CV axle. I had it replaced by a shop, which replaced it with a VERY BAD CV axle, and it caused my car to SHAAAKE and vibrate, and feel like it was going to fall apart! It would do so at certain speeds, and also during certain turns. It would literally feel like the wheel was going to just pop off, which it prolly would have done.

I would suggest checking the CV axles as well, senor.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

Okay ksports will be here tuesday my buddy and i are going to do ball joints tre's and ksports tuesday ill also take out the axles check them for play ect and reinstall see if this helps ill update next week.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”