5 spd woes

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
crowgo
antispam: No

5 spd woes

Post by crowgo »

First, I'm totally new to MX-3.com and mx-3's in whole. Just recently purchased a '94 for my son, we hope to fix it up. The problem right now is the shifter (lever) has dropped through the floor. We can lift it and shift through the gears. Does anyone have any ideas, experience, drawings etc. HELP!!!!
hgallegos915

Re: 5 spd woes

Post by hgallegos915 »

weld a bracket to it or replace the mount.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... J2-054.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Item #29 in this diagram, the extension bar, is the problem. It is a common problem. The shift lever passes through it and bolts to the shift control rod. The base plate acts as the pivot point for the shifter. In order to control vibration the shifter is isolated from the base plate by a large rubber bushing which is bonded to the base plate on either side. When they get old the rubber dries out and the bonds break and the shifter falls through.

There was a guy who made a bracket the "Shifter Anti-Drop Bracket" or some such. I would just go to the local wrecker and find one that is in decent shape. It's fairly easy to change. Your other option would be to remove the parts and fill the cavity with a 2 part polyurethane mixture. Lots of guys use this polyurethane to fill their motor mounts to make them stiffer.

If you do a little searching for the anti-drop bracket and the filled motor mounts you'll get what I mean right away. The search link on the red header bar is your friend.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:There was a guy who made a bracket the "Shifter Anti-Drop Bracket" or some such.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=44745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
D-Bass
antispam: No

Post by D-Bass »

My 5spd shifter did this as well. It dropped so it was sitting on the exhaust. I tried some self-tapping screws but they didn't hold for long. The original bolt wouldn't work. So I drilled two small holes and used two small bolts with nuts and washers on both sides. Haven't had a problem since. I used a small piece of sound damping material between

Return to “Transmissions”