b6de some issues

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mzdamx3rsdohc

b6de some issues

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

okay well i was going to sell the car but have changed my mind as anything im interested in is to high on insurance for me.

1st problem- brake lights are always on. is there a switch that is possibly shot and not reading the brakes are off?

2- my EGR tube is broken where it goes into the nut on the exhaust manifold, so if you can picture it i can pull the tube in and out of the manifold. can i just weld where the tube goes into the nut? i want to do a temporary fix as i have a slight miss at low rpms, and am throwing a EGR and o2 inversion code. i think the 02 is probably caused by the EGR tube allowing air to enter and leave the manifold freely screwing up the o2 readings. the reason i want to temporarily fix it is because i am planning on turboing it. and have sourced most needed parts except the manifold. But if i were to install the turbo and still have this miss it would be impossible to narrow it down. thats why i want to fix it first.

3- SLOPPY,LOOSE shifter. this drives me nuts. the tranny has under 100 000 on it but the shifter is so sloppy. if i take off the center console there is no grease over the ball,by where the shifter comes up like my old tranny had when i first got the car 8+years ago. how do i remedy this?
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: b6de some issues

Post by umcamara »

1) There's a switch at the brake pedal. When you push the brake a pin pops out and completes the circuit. The switch may be adjusted so the pin is always out enough to complete the circuit. Easy fix.

2) No idea. I don't see why you couldn't weld it...

3) You need to replace the shifter linkage bushings. Nothing to do with the transmission.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mzdamx3rsdohc

Re: b6de some issues

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

perfect, thanks a lot for the quick reply. ill see about adjusting the switch when im at my dads tomorrow. so when the pins OUT, its completeing the circuit turning the light on, do you know how to adjust this, is it just a screw or?

well, pretty much i was wondering if its weldable, material wise. what is the egr tube made of? it looks like copper like colour but itd be all green by now if it was actually copper.

shifter bushings, how much am i looking at. and what kind of works involved in replacing these?

hopefully the EGR is my miss..lol.. last summer when my ludes motor was getting rebuilt, i drove the mx for a couple months and while on the 401 express the car died. pulled over and no spark, nothing. so i figure ill check the fuses as a distributor wouldnt stop fuel. fuel INJ fuse was blown. i dont remember the amperage of fuse i think 30A i had a spare but it was higher. maybe 40A. anyways through it in thinking it wasnt too much higher amperage i could make it 100 meters to the collector and then same distance to a off ramp go get a new fuse. well by the time i was about to merge on the collector, the second i smell burning the car dies. i know its the wires melting, smoke coming from the engine bay, out the vents in the dash. so now im f-cked. tow the car home, to find the harness fubared. so i head to a unmentioned wreckers pull a wire harness, from a car that has all the connectors cut and engine pulled. grab tons of fuses from various cars. place everything at the back. went back got it for 0$, put all my connectors on the harness installed in the car, and it ran like it does now. so hopefully i dont have to do that again as it was such a pain. and if it is not fixed after the egr im gonna just get a harness from some wreckers with all the commectors on it, as splices could of maybe change the resistance through the wire. but i doubt it.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”