Tail light problem

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
_-Night-Shade-_

Tail light problem

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

So you know how the stock tail lights light up when they're on and when you brake? It's like 2 bulbs on each tail light, like two halves. Well I noticed everything works fine when the lights are off, they light up fine when I press the brake. But if I turn on the lights and then brake on the right side only one half lights up (1 bulb). Anyone know what could be causing this? Wiring messed up somewhere? I've got alarm and keyless installed if that has anything to do with it =/
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Thassodar

Re: Tail light problem

Post by Thassodar »

Have you changed the bulb yet? I was switching to altezzas and one of the bulbs decided to go crappy on me, even though it was fine before I jostled it. I had a few bulbs in my glove box from the previous owner, switched them, and voila it worked. The bulbs are cheap, especially because they're white.

Try cleaning the wires/contacts with some electrical cleaner as well. Dirt could have gotten somewhere and stopped the current. My wires were extremely dirty because they had never been moved/removed in...17 years.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
_-Night-Shade-_

You don't understand. All the bulbs are working. It's just when the lights are on and I press the brake one of the bulbs goes out. Doesn't do this when the lights are off though. It's really weird.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Its because the brake/running lights are twin filament bulbs. It is only one unit, but if you take a look at it you'll see it has two filaments. its possible for only one to burn out, causing just the running lights to work or just the brake to work. Replace the bulb with another twin filament bulb. The type is.... uuummmm... I forget. Just take the old one with you.

Ryan

Edit: I just reread your last post... you say the light goes entirely OFF? That makes it more complicated. That brings a myriad of headaches... just hope you installed the bulb wrong. Otherwise it could be a relay problem or a wiring problem.... neither are fun to troubleshoot.

Make sure you're using a double filament bulb, that may also cause the problem you're describing. (I'm thinking)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The inner and outter bulbs are tied onto the same circuit in relation to their brake/signal and running lights. If it was a circuit problem, you'd have the same problem on both inner and outter lights.

The problem you are experiencing would be bulb-related.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
_-Night-Shade-_

Good to know it's probably not circuit related. But if only one filament was out, how come it completely turns off when I brake with the lights on? Shouldn't it still stay on with 1 filament and be not as bright in comparison?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Easiest try; swap the bulb.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Easiest try; swap the bulb.
+1. it's not 100% clear what you mean... i interpreted it the way Ryan initially.. but regardless it will take 30 seconds to check if it's the bulb. swap it with the other the one that lights up and see if the problem follows the bulb
andywilson24
antispam: No

Post by andywilson24 »

I have the same problem.

Push foot brake in and bulb goes out entirely on one side. The other side is fine. So to recap:

Tail lights on, push brake in and drivers side tails light goes out.

Can anyone help with this?

Cheers
Andy
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Hopefully you've tried different bulbs (preferably new ones)?
_-Night-Shade-_

My bad for not posting the solution to this :D
It was actually the wiring harness for the bulbs, when I installed the tail lights I must have yanked one of them out when pulling bulbs out so it would short when the brakes go on. So I suggest you check that out.
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

i had a problem like that but was fixed when i replaced the wire harness for the whole taillight
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
andywilson24
antispam: No

Post by andywilson24 »

thanks guys. will get on to it.

Cheers
Andy

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”