Oil filter thread size

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

Oil filter thread size

Post by nightfire »

Does anyone know the oil filter nipple thread size? I think it's 20mm, but I'm not sure. I don't know the thread depth either.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Oil filter thread size

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

It's 20mm with 1.5 thread
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:It's 20mm with 1.5 thread
Hero tag for you. :mrgreen:

Thank you!
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm interested in what you're planning.. Let me know if you find a bigger filter than the ZR1.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

nightfire wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:It's 20mm with 1.5 thread
Hero tag for you. :mrgreen:

Thank you!
Lol, np! :D
fowljesse wrote:I'm interested in what you're planning.. Let me know if you find a bigger filter than the ZR1.
ZR1?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, the Corvette ZR1 oil filter fits on the K series engine, and is much bigger. get the NAPA Gold ones for a '93 when they go on sale for about $4. They are the best filter for the money that I know of.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

Wow, thanks for the tip!
But I guess any filter that's 20mm with 1.5 thread can be used? So we just have to find which cars have the best ones that use the same mounting measurements.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You're welcome. I read it on here a few years ago..
If you look into other filters, make sure the rubber sealing ring is the same size, too. I think the ZR1 is about 1mm different, but it doesn't make a difference.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

For the most part, filters are universal. Like spark plugs, block heaters, belts...

A b6 filter is a bp filter is a d17 filter is a (1.8 '03 Sentra engine) filter....

thats at least 3 different brands with similar sized engines ( 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.8 ) that use the EXACT same size filter.

For the 4 cyl guys I believe millenia(or was it miata?) filters are the size upgrade for us. Like Jesse said, if the rubber rings match up, and the threads look the same, chances are they are.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

I'm actually installing one of those filter sandwich thingies:

I need it for my oil pressure sensor, but I'll also use it as a sender line for my turbo.

I ordered one for the 93-97 Probe, but it was only for the 2L, not our engines. It had a 3/4" UNC adapter pipe, so I had to get them to send me the right one, and just need to know what that was. It's in the mail now. :)
- Gord
Collier

Post by Collier »

Same thread size for the miata if I remember right. They both have the same oil filter, I know that for sure.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Thanks for the tip on the ZR1 filter fowljesse...I honestly didn't know that. I know what I'm getting next time I change the oil...
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
_-Night-Shade-_

Jesse what year ZR1s would work? Cause they've been in production for quite a while, also there are 2 engine types...
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Does anyone know the benefits of the ZR1? Proven oil pressure gains?

I might use this thread to ask, what brand of filters do you guys recommend?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fowljesse wrote:Yeah, the Corvette ZR1 oil filter fits on the K series engine, and is much bigger. get the NAPA Gold ones for a '93 when they go on sale for about $4. They are the best filter for the money that I know of.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”