Death wobble help please

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Suresperance

Death wobble help please

Post by Suresperance »

i just finished swapping my ze in for a second time. and the car sat for almost two yrs before this so i take it out for a test drive and the front end feels like its going to fall off the car. i found out it was a flat tire(i pumped it up before i went out it just went down that fast) so i get a new tire on it and it still does it ... turns out one of the shocks was not all the way tightened. i take it out again and it is still happening. what could be causing this?

the drivers rear strut is completely gone but i had my buddy stick his head out the window and said the pass front wheel is wobbling so much it looks like its going to come off. when i jack it up there is no play whatsoever im lost as to what this could be any help would be great
Last edited by Suresperance on June 1st, 2009, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED CAR: 94 MX-3 GS soon to be GS-R Engine: K8 weapon R intake, racing cat, pacesetter exhaust, 8.5 MM wires. Suspension and Breaks: Ground control coilovers, KYB GR2 struts, front and rear strut bars, crossdrilled rotors. Wheels and tires: ADV revolution 17" with Fuzion ZRI rubber. Body: Mazdaspeed front bumper, brand new paint job. Interior: X2 racing seats w/ 4 Pt harnesses, underglow under the dash, carbon fibre gauge bezel, reverse glow gauges, Painted trim Stereo: sony xplod head unit, pioneer 3 ways all around, rockford fosgate amp, lightning audio 1 farad capacitor, dual eclipse 12" subs. WHITE CAR: 93 MX-3 GS-R Engine: KL-ZE weapon R intake, SS autochrome headers, racing cat, 2.25 echaust with dual fartcan, curved neck intake and TB, intake and TB spacers, Stage 3 six puck clutch, 8.5 MM wires ordering fidanza flywheel this week. Suspension and Breaks: STOCK. Wheels and tires: STOCK with 225 bfgoodrich euro T/A rubber. Body: STOCK nasty and dirty car sat for four years before i brought it back to life, hood scoop. Interior: STRIPPED Stereo: Pioneer head unit, infinity 3 ways all around, rock ford fosgate amp, single 12" rockford punch sub
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Death wobble help please

Post by Mooneggs »

the only thing that comes to mind is either:

lugnuts not tightened down
very bent rim
bad wheel bearing

maybe some type of suspsension component not hooked up like swaybar + endlinks? balljoint or tie rod end?
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

lung nuts were put on with impact so they are good and tight i have tried two different sets of rims if the wheel bearing were bad enough to have that much wobble while driving it should have play in it right?

ball joints need to be replaced but dont seem to have any play in them
same for the tie rod ends, swaybar and links all look to be solid

could the drivers rear strut being broken in half affect the front of the car? he said he saw it wobble which makes me think it has to be upfront
RED CAR: 94 MX-3 GS soon to be GS-R Engine: K8 weapon R intake, racing cat, pacesetter exhaust, 8.5 MM wires. Suspension and Breaks: Ground control coilovers, KYB GR2 struts, front and rear strut bars, crossdrilled rotors. Wheels and tires: ADV revolution 17" with Fuzion ZRI rubber. Body: Mazdaspeed front bumper, brand new paint job. Interior: X2 racing seats w/ 4 Pt harnesses, underglow under the dash, carbon fibre gauge bezel, reverse glow gauges, Painted trim Stereo: sony xplod head unit, pioneer 3 ways all around, rockford fosgate amp, lightning audio 1 farad capacitor, dual eclipse 12" subs. WHITE CAR: 93 MX-3 GS-R Engine: KL-ZE weapon R intake, SS autochrome headers, racing cat, 2.25 echaust with dual fartcan, curved neck intake and TB, intake and TB spacers, Stage 3 six puck clutch, 8.5 MM wires ordering fidanza flywheel this week. Suspension and Breaks: STOCK. Wheels and tires: STOCK with 225 bfgoodrich euro T/A rubber. Body: STOCK nasty and dirty car sat for four years before i brought it back to life, hood scoop. Interior: STRIPPED Stereo: Pioneer head unit, infinity 3 ways all around, rock ford fosgate amp, single 12" rockford punch sub
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

you're not supposed to put lug nuts on with impact. :shrug: Maybe that's part of a problem
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

it has an adjustable clutch ... its okay ... they guru at my local parts store and i are pretty sure that the rear shock being snapped in half is just causing the whole car to shimmy so ill swap a new shock in there this week and go from there
mazda___mx3
antispam: No

Post by mazda___mx3 »

if its been sitting for 2 years the tires could have gotten flat spots on them
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah. It could be that, and it may need to be rebalanced.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

its not the tires i have had two sets of wheels and tires and its the same with both im almost positive its the rear strut ... how do i put this is broken in half so badly that when the car sits flat the top of the tire leans in about an inch maybe an inch and a half
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Suresperance wrote:im almost positive its the rear strut ... how do i put this is broken in half so badly that when the car sits flat the top of the tire leans in about an inch maybe an inch and a half
:shock: :o yeah that might do it :lol:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Broken driver's rear strut should not make the pass front wheel wobble like it going to fall off.

Outer tie rod ends look good, but maybe the inner is snapped? Sounds unlikely I know but that wheels moving around because something ain't connected someplace. I would think if it's like you described it would be obvious.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Don't think it's the rear strut...I mean still definately replace it, but what you're describing sounds more like the tie rod ends, or wheel bearing...when you checked for play, did you have the xmission in nuetral and rotate the tire while checking for play???? Wheel bearings can be funny like that sometimes.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

yup neutral and spun it all different directions i can not get that wheel to wiggle the slightest bit while the car is stopped and remember he THINKS he saw the front wiggling like it was gonna fall off but then again he drives a honda :roll: but the whole car really shakes so ill start with the big stuff ... chad(cstott) is hooking me up with a working stock rear strut just to see if that's the problem i will update after i swap it out tomorrow tie rod ends and ball joints have been ordered from rock auto any ways because they were worn but i swear there is not a tenth of a mm of play in either ... either way ill start eliminating possibilities and we can go from there
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Who was it who actually broke the CONTROL ARM in half?(or maybe just cracked it really bad, this was probably a year or two back) Check to make sure the big hardware is good too. That may not move too much with one guy hauling on it, but a whole car may make it wobble like death.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Ryan wrote:Who was it who actually broke the CONTROL ARM in half?(or maybe just cracked it really bad, this was probably a year or two back) Check to make sure the big hardware is good too. That may not move too much with one guy hauling on it, but a whole car may make it wobble like death.
I'm not sure if I'm the one you are thinking of but I broke my driver's side control arm all the way through after hitting a curb at almost 50mph (if I remember correctly) yeah it definately made the front wheel/suspension feel sketchy!
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

chad (cstott) is coming over tomorrow we will get the strut on and figure all this nonsense out .... mooneggs .... how the hell did you hit a curb at fifty?!?!?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”