Warning: consider a safety chain for CF hoods.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Warning: consider a safety chain for CF hoods.

Post by OROutdoors »

This morning, as I was driving to work, my hood started movement -- going up and down a fraction of an inch. My first though was, wow that's loose, I better find a place to pull over and check that out. Then a few short seconds later, the hood blew open and smacked against the windshield and roof of my car. I pulled over. :oops:

It seems that one of the hood pins was not secured correctly, and the other one's retaining ring bent out of shape. The damage is: the CF has crack at the leading edge corners; the CF is mangled at the hinges; paint has been crushed at the fenders nead the hinges; the windshield is cracked; the roof is dented, scraped and warped.

I am so sad about this. :crying:

To prevent future mishaps, I'm going to install a small chain and clip that will connect the hood to the radiator supports. Man! I WISH I HAD THAT ON EARLIER!!! :(
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
marcdh

Re: Warning: consider a safety chain for CF hoods.

Post by marcdh »

Awh man that blows big time. I take it your's didn't have the stock latch on it? I had my CF bonnet repaired quite well after TNT attacked it. Otherwise you could just fiberglass it together and paint it. Commiserations, that is a sad story :|
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

NNOOoo!
After all our (Dana's) work!
Man, that really sucks.
I've done some body work, and can help straighten things out, with the proper tools.
I don't know about the CF. If you decide to get rid of it, let me know.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wow that's lame... that's kind of interesting because I was looking at your hood pins how they were reversed and it seemed less likely they would come out since they couldn't be "pushed" out by the wind... sad to hear this man... :crying: I was even going to talk to you about it but didn't :?

I feel bad because I told you to drive the car :x

I have a safety chain on mine since I don't have the OEM hood latch and just have 2 hood pins - I'm not sure if it would really hold if something like this was happening since it's just around one of the front bumper support things... but I figure it would give me the 3 seconds or so time to react!

anyways what's next... will we be able to help you repair your car or does it have to go to a shop?? can the hood still be used even though it is messed up?
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

yeah that sucks a lot :!: after all of our (my) hard work on the car to get another mx3 running, swear to god if i have to work on another mx3 before mine to make it faster, oh well, time for you to get the new body kit on and repaint the car!!! jesse quit tring to haggle everyone :roll:
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

stereoking15 wrote: jesse quit tring to haggle everyone :roll:
I just imagined him throwing it away. My standards are lower than most, so I could fix it up as well as possible, and paint it, and he could have a few bucks toward a nice new one :shrug:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

jk buddy, i would have done the same thing to get a cf hood!! p.s. check your volumetric efficiency topic
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I was working on my car... out of nowhere a cross wind came(i was parked with the hood open) and BAM it blew it to the windshield. It didnt crack the winshield but the edhes of my hood were damaged.. its happened to many times now... a chain is in store or maybe a new cf hood for me instead.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

This happened to Jarid @ the track..
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've never had a problem with mine any at any speed. I've still got the hood latch as well as the sliding hood pins. Before I got mine, I was hold that the flush locking ones didn't hold well, so I went with the classis ones and they hold great. However I have a tie-down, basically a long twist-tie, I used for car shows or just working on the car, since a decent wind would easilly blow it off the hood prop.

Funny enough, I witnessed this happen to a kid about a week and a half ago on the highway.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

This happened to me too on the highway, not in the MX, in my Willy's, picture a 80lb hood flying at your face. I feel for you man.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Im going to look into getting hood lifter rods like for the hatch...somne people have done it but no one wants to share...this would solve this problem for good
mazda___mx3
antispam: No

Post by mazda___mx3 »

sucks about the hood dude
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

It's OK to cry...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

That sucks. Maybe you could post where your hood pins were at? I have mine on hood pins for years now and it's been holding it just fine. I had my car @ the excess of 120mph on closed highway also.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Appearance”