Yea about this

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
headhunter1213
antispam: No

Yea about this

Post by headhunter1213 »

ok so this guy at work is wanting to sell me a 1992 mx3 v6 with around 160k miles on it.He says he only wants to sell it because he cant drive a stick period. He got it because he wanted to learn but he lost interest in it. It has the stock engine I think(didn't take a good look) passenger window smashed out but it runs and the clutch is decent.it has an oddly high idle (around 2k) but it sounds good with no loud ticks or anything like that. It has had a small crash in the front right and has the core replaced. Im kinda trying to get as much advice as i can get as soon as possible because hes sellin it for 300 and my bro sorta blew up my 1990 civic LX. she was a good car. until the radiator blew the hood open and made a 50 foot geyser.what do you guys think. Should I buy or not?
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own- Adam savage

1990 Honda civic LX (dead...) :(
solo_ryder

Re: Yea about this

Post by solo_ryder »

Pics or cannot judge. Ppl have a funny thing here on the forum for buying a 300$ car that ends up being a 300$ car after investing alot of time and money on the car.. Be careful and post up some pics
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow 300.. thats cheaper than a shell..I would so getthat car even if it was NOT running, as long as it has no rust.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

uhhh go to and turn the little screw that makes the idle go down and there should be a spring that holds the throttle down or something like that if the idle is still up ehh and yeah if it looks like a peice dont get it dude
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^That is not the proper way to set the idle.

To properly set the idle:

Warm car up. Turn car off.
Open the diagnostics box near top of engine bay and put a paper clip between the pins TEN and GND. Be careful not to jump anything else.
Turn car on.
Slowly turn the screw on the throttle body until RPMS drop to ~650.
Pull Paperclip while car is still running, and let car idle for a minute or 2.

If the screw turns all the way in and idle doesn't drop, you most likely have an air leak somewhere.
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

Thanks romeo ive been absorbing so much information lately im going to go try that out will it work the same for the 1.6 soch?

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Yup, same for all mx3's, the only difference is the location of the screw!
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

okay check back in like 10 minutes ill see what happened;D

headhunter1213

Post by headhunter1213 »

hThe body is near flawless except for a small dent near the gas door.the floor pans, frame and everything else looks to be in order and rust free.i was planning on getting it and within a year or so put a klze in it. Theres a junkyard by my house where i can get the window for cheap. The car is that weird teal looking color.

onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The best way to check if she is rust free is to take a wheel or 2 off (or all 4) and check all the wheel wells, then pull up the carpet in the trunk and check the corners of the trunk (specifically the right corner nearest rear of car, under the washer reservoir if there is a rear wiper.). These are the places rust likes to hide in the mx3.
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

okay car is idling right now at about 650 just pulled the paperclip ran inside to type this message now im going back out to look at it what should be happening?

onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You let the car idle after pulling the paperclip to store the settings to the ECU. Some people say it happens right away, but I like to be on the safe side and idle the car after every ECU trip. Nothing happens, so if you're waiting for something to happen, it won't! :lol:
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

Nope I wasn't just a question. So i just took it around the block and it works great. Never knew that i had an idle problem lol this will probably help save some gas cause my car would go between idling at 1,500 and 1,000 NEVER lower now it goes right back to it everytime;D AWESOME

headhunter1213

Post by headhunter1213 »

I might go look at it again today and maybe get a compression tester from my brother. If you do the whole thing with the paperclip will it hurt the car in any way shape or form?And about how much would it cost for a klze and mounts and everything else needed in the swap?

93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Call a supplier in your area, sometimes a member here will sell a ze if they're upgrading or need room in their garage! Don't know where you are but google it, if you use the search function on this site you'll be able to find everything you need to stiffen up your mounts. I say buy it, but buyer beware.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”