DELETED

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
93BlackMX3

DELETED

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

Last edited by 93BlackMX3 on October 17th, 2009, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solo_ryder

Re: Ricer Exhaust To Stealthy SportsCar Exhaust

Post by solo_ryder »

Has nothing to do with the muffler. If you buy a magnaflow or a borla its gonna be the same deal. That is something that people dont understand, mufflers on the end of the exhaust dont make much of a difference AT ALL, they are all gonna be louder, but wont really change the tone at all. Just cause its a borla doesnt mean its gonna sound exotic.

I bought a Magnaflow muffler and stuck it on the end of my STOCK exhaust piping (except headers) and I was NOT impressed with how loud it was at lower RPMS, it drones and its annoying as hell. I put a highflow cat in and now its even louder! The stock resonator on a mx3 is very small, maybe 6-8" max, that is my issue. I need to get new piping and put in a big resonator and that will cut the noise out for sure and make it comfortable to drive again.

Look at this pic of your exhaust:

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img8305av1.jpg

See the long straight area? That is where your issue is. The problem is that the exhaust only has a CAT and a muffler. You need to go to a exhaust shop and get a 12-18" straight through or snake style resonator put in. That will kill the rasp for sure, also will kill the loudness and give the exhaust a nice toned sound. Plus, resonators are fairly cheap and alot of exhaust shops just have no name brands they can put in for you around 80$ installed. No need to go with a fancy name brand as they all are just casings with fiberglass and s--- packed in to cut the resonance of the exhaust
93BlackMX3

DELETED

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

Last edited by 93BlackMX3 on October 17th, 2009, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea, it will cut the sound out. You can use a silencer as well to cut the sound alot.

2.5" is a pretty large exhaust size for a lil 4 banger, that might be what is also causing your issue, maybe look at a snake style resonator. That is a resonator that is not straight through, it has a small pipe inside the packing that moves like a S through the packing and will cut out more sound then a straight through, but it is more restrictive. But if you are serious about cutting out some sound, get that.

Either way, it will do alot more then getting a new muffler.

Remember, you have a 4 banger, its never gonna sound like a sports car. Id say the quieter and the more toned you can get your exhaust the better.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

well, i had the same issue last summer. i had a megan racing canon 2.25" exhaust and a highflow magnaflow cat and it was so loud and ricey. i bought a magnaflow non canon type, looks like a regular muffler but with like a 3" chrome tip. i like the look more than the canon, and it not only deepend my sound, but substantially cut the overall loudness down. it doesnt drone at low rpms and feels like theres more midrange in the car. i remember the exact sound your talking about with a canon and a silencer it just makes a nasty tingy honda like sound. just an idea although im sure a resonator would of helped more, but the car sounds more than fine to myself now if anything id maybe want it a little bit louder at higher rpms. idling it barely sounds like it has a exhaust
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Is this a good buy? I am also looking @ resonators for my exhaust as it's very loud haha..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-Test ... arQ5fParts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:well, i had the same issue last summer. i had a megan racing canon 2.25" exhaust and a highflow magnaflow cat and it was so loud and ricey. i bought a magnaflow non canon type, looks like a regular muffler but with like a 3" chrome tip. i like the look more than the canon, and it not only deepend my sound, but substantially cut the overall loudness down. it doesnt drone at low rpms and feels like theres more midrange in the car. i remember the exact sound your talking about with a canon and a silencer it just makes a nasty tingy honda like sound. just an idea although im sure a resonator would of helped more, but the car sounds more than fine to myself now if anything id maybe want it a little bit louder at higher rpms. idling it barely sounds like it has a exhaust
That's something I forgot to mention that works as well. You basically have a muffler thay would normally be in the middle of a car on the end of your car. Those mufflers have chambers and will cut the sound just like a resonator.

I was under the impression that the op wanted to keep his can on the back, if so a resonator is still the best option. If not, then a true muffler is also a good choice.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I fit a ridic. long cherry bomb resonator in my car something like 22"+, and kept a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler. Granted this is a v6, but it's alot quieter than most custom exhausts. I'd still like it a little more quiet (there is a 3-400 rpm drone range right around town cruise :( ) but the upper rpms are very nice and it doesn't idle loud.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Mufflers do make a huge difference, but remember. You want quiet, you're going to have to get a chambered muffler or something.
I have heard amazing things about the Apexi WS2, I would LOVE if you bought the muffler and gave us an update on the product.

I run a Flowmaster 60 series, I used to have a cannon exhaust.
The difference was amazing, however, I still would like it quieter since it's my DD. I want to know what the Apexi is like!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I highly highly suggest a resonator. It makes a world of difference.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
93BlackMX3

DELETED

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

Last edited by 93BlackMX3 on October 17th, 2009, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

tin sound?

like.. metal rattling on metal?

I had that before, and all I had to do was adjust the bolt that holds the silencer on the car until the rattling stopped. I think the heat messes with the bolt and causes it to not be a perfect tight fit.
93BlackMX3

DELETED

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

Last edited by 93BlackMX3 on October 17th, 2009, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

that raspy tin sound is the sound your exhaust reverberating on your pipes.

That means you need a resonator. It'll cut down the tinning sound.
I had that issue, I ended up getting a flowmaster hushpower. It did wonders.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

or you can get a turbo, that is what I have as my resinator!! :)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”