Dyno Numbers have arrived, more boost inside...

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
hppwdn

Dyno Numbers have arrived, more boost inside...

Post by hppwdn »

Here's the dyno results from last Saturday. There's three passes on the printout. The lowest is cutout closed on the spring, the second is cutout open on the spring, and the third is 14psi.

Run #1 (cutout closed, boost controller off) - 249whp/242wtq, this was on 7.5psi because my exhaust chokes off the flow. I've only made one track pass this way and it was a 13.6. I would guess my best pass on this setup wouldn't be any better than 13.3.

Run #2
(cutout open, boost controller off) - 271whp/259wtq, this is the "slow" setup I've been running at the track. After looking at the datalogs it's making 8.5psi on this setting which is spot on for the .6bar spring I have. Best so far on this is 12.718 @ 113. With some tuning I got it to around 285whp which will be the new slowest setting for the car.

Run #3 (cutout open, boost controller on) - 341.96whp/315wtq, this was on 14psi. Only made two passes on this setting because I was running out of time. It's just beginning to touch the efficiency of the SC61 so with some more tuning I might be able to squeeze a 350whp out of 14psi, not sure, but it's a goal.

Dyno Video Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR1T_yJJMCE

Here's the plot, click it for a high res version

And since I was so impressed with my new turbo blanket, we did a little demonstration video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PnCgjbG64s
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
johnmx3ze

Re: Dyno Numbers have arrived, more boost inside...

Post by johnmx3ze »

very very nice, thats just crazy!!!

i have a question where's your fuse box and all that s---?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I did a mild version of a wire tuck after I had the car painted. If you look at the engine bay, other than a couple grounds, there isn't any visible wiring. I gotta go back to black plug wires as well to help subdue the look.

The fuse box is behind/below the battery now and all the harness that used to come up and around the front of the engine to the alternator area now runs in back along the bottom of the firewall and sneaks up around the other side very covertly. I also relocated the boost controller solenoid so it's out of site and hid as many vacuum lines as possible. A 30 year head tech from the local Mazda dealership was at the track last week and he was quite impressed with it.

Here's an example of a pretty much stock K8 engine bay vs my finished product. Imagine how clean it would look in there if it wasn't turbo.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

really nice and clean... keep it up!!!nice work
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

congrats man! Great numbers all round. Engine bay looks super clean. That's an impressive gain with the cutout. Do you leave it open dragging?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Ya, it's open at the track. Sometimes I'll run with it closed if I'm trying to line up a close race with a 13.5ish car, but normally it's open.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a cutout?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Great time slips, great power and great looks!
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Mad Cow wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what's a cutout?
A picture will explain it best. Basically it bypasses the rest of your exhaust making you open downpipe. But with the electric ones you can open and close them from inside the car with a switch.

timpronk wrote:Great time slips, great power and great looks!
Thanks for the compliments :2thumbsup:
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

That is some serious power! You have MS? Go back to the track and make a pass with the new power! I can't wait to put my engine back together and drive it!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Awesome. Great job. Now I love your car even more.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

mx-3_4evr wrote:That is some serious power! You have MS? Go back to the track and make a pass with the new power! I can't wait to put my engine back together and drive it!
Ya, it's got MS. Doesn't even have the stock ECU anymore it's fully controlled with MS. There's a full modlist link in my sig. The only thing not on the modlist is the Wrap Around Spoiler and a nice Isotta Steering Wheel.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

Oh ok. So Stock internals?
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Completely stock internals. I got the motor at the junkyard. Stock DE heads, stock KL01 cams. My roommate's DE is making the same power on the same boost in his probe. If you tune it well they can handle a decent amount of power for a long time.

It's got as much power as I need for the time being, but if I get to a point where I've got enough traction to make use of more power, I'll go back and push it some more. If it pops, I have a KLG4 solid lifter motor sitting in the garage waiting.

The 245 yokohama street tires should be on the rims this weekend. Assuming no issues with spacers, they might be on the car next week.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

Oh damn! I'm just starting to tune with my MS. What program do you use for tuning? I know there is a auto-tune that you can use for tuning.

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”