Removing axle, help needed ASAP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Removing axle, help needed ASAP

Post by mitmaks »

Help guys, replacing my front drivers axle and not sure how I remove C-clip. Ive replaced axle before on cousins civic and they just pulled out from the tranny and mine is being held in. What do I do?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Legato626

Re: Removing axle, help needed ASAP

Post by Legato626 »

Ya they get stuck in there good sometimes I had to use a big flat head and just wiggeled it out should just pop out!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If it is really stuck that badly, you can remove the passenger side cv axle. Once you unbolt the intermediate shaft from the block it will pull right out. Then you can take a screw driver and hammer the drivers side out. I myself have never done this but heard it works great. If you dont want to do this, you just have to keep prying at the axle. All of a sudden it will let loose and you will wonder what you did differently then the million times before.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

get a pry bar in between the axle and the tranny casing. pry HARD and it should come. getting them back in is the frustrating part.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Accidentally double posted, please delete.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnp
antispam: No

Post by johnp »

Hey, projectzemx3 - that's MY question: how do you know if it's IN there far enough? I recently replaced my left front axle in my '93 MX-3 automatic, and THOUGHT I had it in; the car drove great for about a mile, then I got the same damn 'burring' noise from the left front end; it seemed to come from where the axle goes in to the tranny. I thought I had it in right, but maybe not...it doesn't want to go into reverse, either...what am I missing?

-John
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

When you push/snap the axel back in you'll hear and feel a definite click as it seats itself.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

yea and look at the axle too tranny clearance. it should be very close, 1/4 inch or so.... you will know if its in becauyse you wont be able to get it out :P
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
johnp
antispam: No

Post by johnp »

Well, I THOUGHT that's what I did; but is there a trick to making sure it's in? I also noticed while the axle was out of the transmission that there seemed to be a silver shaft of some sort transversing the axle shaft hole IN the tranny case, in the very back of it...does this silver object need to be out of the way? This is the first time I've tried to reapir the left-front axle, so I may not know what I'm looking at...

-John
barefootmx-3

Post by barefootmx-3 »

DONT PRY TO HARD. i had the same problem and it iook us 14 hrs to get the damn thing out. but the way we got it out was we put a prybar under the axle side in the car and pryed while hitting the top with a mallet. should work

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”