So wait,what?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
802mx3

So wait,what?

Post by 802mx3 »

So someone please explain to me why there isnt any real aftermarket for the RS. I recently bought my 3rd mx-3 Rs and am determined to make this a quick little car. I'm not doing a BP swap!

Anyway, its been years since I was on this site and was wondering if any good aftermarket has arrived yet. You would think if companies are making parts for the 1991-1994 nissan sentra 1.6 that someone would be helping us.

So who should I talk to here about turbo charging this engine? I dont see why it cant be done and isnt done regularly. I'm sure someone here has dont it.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: So wait,what?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

check out the worklogs or tool around the FI pages. There are too many different setups to go over. Pretty much all are custom.
802mx3

Post by 802mx3 »

yeah, I understand that they're all custom. I just dont get why a pretty peppy little I4 doesnt have a aftermarket. What with all the civics,integras, etc... All of them gone to rice hell at this point . People are looking for alternatives.
In my area of the world you can not find a clean unmolested import. But thats off the subject. I would really like to get going on this project asap. I'm looking for conservative HP and torque numbers. 130 to the wheels would be awesome. As I look over this site I see alot of the same questions asked. Basically, could someone just send me a link here to a good NA/ turbo DOHC build? I really believe that 130 whp is a good number to shoot for starting off. I'm pretty good with mechanics and have a good knowledge of how things work. Who here has achieved success with a 1.6L DOHC?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Why would you want to spend many times the price on a BP motor, on a B6, to make BP hp?

Honda and Mazda 4cyl motors are totally different. Most of the B6 motors have been designed to handle boost. Honda never really concentrated on using turbo, and they were only limited to Japan until the RDX just a few years ago...Mazda's been turboing motors since the 80's on the 323, Protege, Rx7, Mx-6/626/Probe, too a break in the 90's and came back with the Protege, Miata, 3 and 6...

Honda's Vtec is derived from their F1 tech, concentrating just on high-reving, small-displacement motors. Their short stroke motors along with their Vtec system proves how well you can accomplish that. Don't expect the same numbers from a B6 or BP cause that's a totally unrelated design.

The reason tuners exist is because we can, for the most part, make our cars perform with cars worth more times it's value, why would you do the opposite? It'll be like spending $15'000 on a car to make it as fast as a car you can buy for $5000...it just doesn't make sence.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

130 to the wheels seems like an odd number. Hard to do NA and a little low for a turbo build. In the sale section there should be a few 323 turbo manifolds. Recently one of our members put his old set up on ebay. if you only want a minor build the 323 setup would probably be your best option.
802mx3

Post by 802mx3 »

Ok, I think some people might be a little confused. Just to clear things up. I'm not coming from the honda world. My initial comments were asking why there isnt as much aftermarket options for the B6. I find it odd that the aftermarket tunning industry hasnt bothered with the mx-3 rs. Yet, a 1994 basic model sentra with 86HP (not se-r) has a ton of option. This car screams for more power. The 1.8l V6 imo is a joke . Not saying that out of envy for the 130hp, and I understand there is aftermarket for that engine and tons of capability. But what I'm saying is plain and simple.

WHERE IS THE AFTERMARKET?

So maybe 130whp is kinda not worth it, I get it. Enlighten me. Help get a fellow mx-3'er the info he needs. I'm still somewhat of a noob, sorry. So who here has a good write up for this turbo? Some of you may ask why not a bpt? Well, the BPT is hard to find and expensive to order. The b6 is everywhere, infact there are a ton of them around here. Of corse this engine will be completely rebuilt before actually turboing it.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

my build is a little over the top. 200 at the wheels is what I am aiming for.. with stock internals. If you notice... my equipment is a high quality to ensure a proper operation. This is just an example.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=69074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

in the FS section here is a good start.:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... bo#p507290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

and one more for ya:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- he may be willing to help you out with any questions you may have. He had a fairly informative webpage at one time; which inspired me to start my build.

edit.. links work better if posted
802mx3

Post by 802mx3 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:and one more for ya:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- he may be willing to help you out with any questions you may have. He had a fairly informative webpage at one time; which inspired me to start my build.

edit.. links work better if posted
Thank you for all the help. I'm starting to get a sense of where to start. I think its time I started a build on this car.
i loved the look on the extremmx3 link you posted BTW.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I checked out your work log. I noticed you also have a 96'. You'll probably run into a road block here and there with the obdii.. I've pretty much found all the pinouts needed for the ecu and had to make my own diagrams. Lemme know if you need a hand.

Oh, where are ya from?
802mx3

Post by 802mx3 »

I should also mention I liked the "engine bay" of extrememx3

I'm from a small state in the US called Vermont. My car was made in 03/96 I would have figured it had an airbag by then. But it really doesn't seem like I have one. Which is fine with me. But I'm now starting to wonder if its really OBD2. I know anything after 96, but wasnt there that cut-off time in 1996? When you could get either obd1 in the first part of the year, and obd2 in the last half? I only say this because there is just the one diagnostic port in the engine bay.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

either check your ecu.. should have 3 plugs in it (mtx obd2) or get on your back on the passenger floor and look up towards the glove box/ towards the cent console.. there should be the ob2 plug. It's easy to overlook. AFAIK, there were no obd2 mx's produced in the states. I could be wrong tho.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

I could always scan the pages for the 1996 4 cylinder ECU pinout...already posted the one for the V6...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

if you have them you better. :wink:
No one has those. Not even the mazda dealerships.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I'll be honest, i didn't read through it all.... but If you have a 94+ MX3 just look up engine performance for a 1.6l Miata. You can use a ton of the stuff, cames, fuel rails, injectors, tuning.... You could even use an intake if you want to rewire your vaf/extend the wiring... :)

Return to “Forced Induction”