Question for anyone who knows about custom interior work

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
onlytrueromeo

Question for anyone who knows about custom interior work

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I wrapped my door panels/back seat trim panels in leather, but I screwed up the detail work, and can hide most of it IF I can get some type of "filler" material that runs between the door panel and the "insert".

This is not my picture, but it can be used to show what I want. Between the black part of the door and the blue insert part, I want to put either black or chrome colored material that I can glue or attach in some way that will look good and sit no more than 1/4" deep and wide.

Kind of like this piping surround:

Where can I get material to do this? What should I use? What would be the best way of doing this?

I want to try to repair these myself - if I go to a professional, I will buy all new panels and get them redone perfectly. I dont want to do this option because it will be more expensive. I am looking for a lower cost alternative.
Yosev

Re: Question for anyone who knows about custom interior work

Post by Yosev »

I'm no tailer but I know that is a piece of cloth wrapped around some kind of cord, probably a shoe-lace type cord.

I've made a couple of these, what you do is I did is I cut out a piece of rope/cord to the length that you want to border, then cut out a rectangular piece of cloth the same length and wide enough to cover the cord 360 degrees WITH an extra inch, inch and a half. Next place the rope/cord in the center of the cloth and fold the cloth over the rope, seem as close to the edge as possible, this should make a sucker like shape. Next find the area where you will be placing the border between, and stick what looks like the "stick" of your sucker flowing toward the non-viable side of the door. Secure, I don't know what kind of materials you made the door out of but with cloth you sew it in between the two pieces, otherwise, glue?

Return to “Appearance”