WATER PUMP!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
GNAR

WATER PUMP!

Post by GNAR »

how do you change the water pump without messing around with the timing belts?
black 95 mx3 V6
projectzemx3

Re: WATER PUMP!

Post by projectzemx3 »

you dont.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

werd.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I remember reading about how some people have changed it without removing the timing belt. Is it actually possible?

I've already replaced the belt once and re-timed it again, and now my water pump is leaking, I really don't want to mess with the belt again.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

You don't need to. I just did a water pump on my MX6 2.5L V6 (exact same idea as the 1.8).

Timing belt removal is not required. Anyone who says it is, needs to seriously speak from experience rather than their anus.

You only need to remove the drive belts and timing covers, an engine mount and a few other small things.

Some people make it out to be so hard. It's not that difficult.
Last edited by RX8SE3P on March 31st, 2009, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

RX8SE3P wrote:Timing belt removal is not required. Anyone who says it is, needs to seriously stfu and speak from experience rather than their anus.
DAYUM! Thats a little harsh! Even I don't say STFU!
I have never done it so I got no clue!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

It's not big deal. I've done the job the same way as well. It's not difficult. Trust me, once you open her up and get to the point where the water pump is visible/accessible, then you'll be able to figure out how to remove it wfter taking the bolts off. I did this on my first MX-3 and I was not mechanically inclined (at the time :)) and I was 19. Now it's no big deal.

Good luck! You kin-do-eeeeeeeeet!
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

RX8SE3P wrote:You don't need to. I just did a water pump on my MX6 2.5L V6 (exact same idea as the 1.8).

Timing belt removal is not required. Anyone who says it is, needs to seriously stfu and speak from experience rather than their anus.

You only need to remove the drive belts and timing covers, an engine mount and a few other small things.

why bother tho? if your waterpump is gone might as well change the belt, and if your belt needs changing, might as well replace the waterpump. stuff like this goes in pairs. sure it can be done but why would you?
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

projectzemx3 wrote:why bother tho? if your waterpump is gone might as well change the belt, and if your belt needs changing, might as well replace the waterpump. stuff like this goes in pairs. sure it can be done but why would you?
Mad Cowzzz wrote:I've already replaced the belt once and re-timed it again, and now my water pump is leaking, I really don't want to mess with the belt again.
To projectze's point... any time I have done the timing belt I have done the water pump too... I don't really like doing this particular project so I try and replace everything while I am in there :shrug: but since you've already done the timing belt you may as well try and JUST do the water pump... good luck sir
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

RX8SE3P wrote:You don't need to. I just did a water pump on my MX6 2.5L V6 (exact same idea as the 1.8).

Timing belt removal is not required. Anyone who says it is, needs to seriously stfu and speak from experience rather than their anus.

I'm not going to engage in any sort of ongoing internet word battle, but you need to check your attitude friend. If you spoke that way to my face we'd have a serious problem. There are many other forums on the internet where you can go to act like that if you want to. Don't do it here.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I'll say this..

Rx8.. you continue to post like that and you wont be posting here.

To answer the OP..

If you change your water pump, go ahead and change the timing belt. Its a $30 part. Makes it much easier than to have to pull it back apart to change the timing belt. It's already taken apart, may as well do it.

...oh and I talk from PLENTY of experience.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I agree with this.... again, when I replaced my first water pump, I didn't know anything about timing and I was afraid of the timing belt. I also assumed, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The labor of getting to the water pump will eliminate about 95% of the labor required to do the timing belt. So, I would just say do both but if don't feel inclined to, water pump it is :).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

wytbishop wrote:I'm not going to engage in any sort of ongoing internet word battle, but you need to check your attitude friend. If you spoke that way to my face we'd have a serious problem. There are many other forums on the internet where you can go to act like that if you want to. Don't do it here.
That's the thing, if I knew you in real life I would say it, but you wouldn't take it the wrong way. People ALWAYS read things the wrong way on emails and online. It wasn't directed at you specifically anyways, or anyone for that matter.

But anyways, the entire point is that sometimes you buy a car with a K series engine and the person who owned it before cheaped out at their service and said, nah just do the timing belt and idlers. I can't afford $150 extra or whatever for the water pump. I can understand too, here in Australia they want over $200 for one at the dealership and plenty of people go there for their servicing.

Of course the dealer won't try to convince them to do the water pump. If it dies later on, they'll make another packet of money in labour charges. Then you buy this car from the person who didn't do the pump and 10,000kms later the pump goes. Why change the entire timing belt and idlers when you don't have to? If it's never been done, of course you would but sometimes the belts and whatnot have been.

Btw, I edited the stfu bit, that really wasn't needed and assume that's most likely the part that fired everyone up.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Mad Cow wrote:I remember reading about how some people have changed it without removing the timing belt. Is it actually possible?

I've already replaced the belt once and re-timed it again, and now my water pump is leaking, I really don't want to mess with the belt again.
You always replace water pump at the timing belt change intervals.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

mitmaks wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:I remember reading about how some people have changed it without removing the timing belt. Is it actually possible?

You always replace water pump at the timing belt change intervals.

I know, but in my case I didn't have much money and the timing belt tensioner went. So I decided to replace the belt too just in case it stretched or something, water pump seemed fine. It started leaking a few weeks after.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”