Distributor Problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ninnemann

Distributor Problems

Post by ninnemann »

I just bought this 1992 1.6 4cyl from a kid. He did a recent engine swap and the distributor seems to be from a mitsubishi something. The distributor is the exact same as the mazda but im confused as to whether the ignition module is built into the distributor or not. The car turns over im just not getting any spark. Everyone that I talk to seems to think that it is the ignition module. Any suggestions? If I do not find a solution fast, I am trading the car for a Honda. :?

-Kevin
- Kevin
Thassodar

Re: Distributor Problems

Post by Thassodar »

I had the same problem about a year ago. I replaced the ignition coil and it didn't fix the problem, so I wasted $100 or so. Took it to my mechanic and he said it was the ECU. When he replaced that I never had a problem ever again.

Pretty much what happened is I'd be cruisin down the highway and then all of a sudden the car would shut off, with no warning. My dash would light up (all the BAT, engine and others) and I'd have no power except for the stereo. The first time it happened I was right next to a gas station. The second time was on the highway on the way to the mechanic (ironically). I managed to make it across four lanes and exit with the left over momentum. It would click click click but never start. Tried popping the clutch and everything, no go.

I doubt the ignition coil would do anything for you, I still have my old one and it's probably still good.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thassodar wrote:I had the same problem about a year ago. I replaced the ignition coil and it didn't fix the problem, so I wasted $100 or so. Took it to my mechanic and he said it was the ECU. When he replaced that I never had a problem ever again.

Pretty much what happened is I'd be cruisin down the highway and then all of a sudden the car would shut off, with no warning. My dash would light up (all the BAT, engine and others) and I'd have no power except for the stereo. The first time it happened I was right next to a gas station. The second time was on the highway on the way to the mechanic (ironically). I managed to make it across four lanes and exit with the left over momentum. It would click click click but never start. Tried popping the clutch and everything, no go.

I doubt the ignition coil would do anything for you, I still have my old one and it's probably still good.

I think your mechanic is giving you some BS it is not very likely for your ECU to give out you just described the symptoms of a ICM/Disty taking a s--- and let me guess after you waited for so long it started right up?
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

Tommy wrote:
Thassodar wrote:I had the same problem about a year ago. I replaced the ignition coil and it didn't fix the problem, so I wasted $100 or so. Took it to my mechanic and he said it was the ECU. When he replaced that I never had a problem ever again.

I think your mechanic is giving you some BS it is not very likely for your ECU to give out you just described the symptoms of a ICM/Disty taking a s--- and let me guess after you waited for so long it started right up?
Nope, it didn't start. Just clicked. Whatever the mechanic did, he said he replaced the computer. May have been BS, but I'm going off of what he said.
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

okay, so if its not the ecu should I try replcing the coil or should I just replace the disty? And is the module built into the stock disty? if not then that would probably be an ideal problem solver. what should I do?

_Kevin
- Kevin
JCS

Post by JCS »

I have a '93 mx-3 with the 1.6 that I recently had the same problem with. The module on mine is external so I tested that and the coil and everything checked out fine. I could turn the car over as long as I wanted but it just wouldn't produce a spark. I got to thinking and wondered if it may be the sensor that's integrated in the distributor. So, I replaced the distributor and it fired right up. I'd look into that if I were you.
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

thanks, yea... I just ordered a new one today. I got a great deal on a used one with only 10,000 miles on it. Hopefully that will be the problem. I just replaced the coil and it did nothing. I bet it's just the control module. (which might be the sensor you're talking about?) But im not sure. I'm just going to replace the distributor and if that doesn't work then I will replace the ecu. Then if that doesn't work then I'm selling the car. If anybody is looking for a new mx-3 keep eye on this post and you will know whether it's up for sale.
- Kevin
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

ninnemann wrote:I just replaced the coil and it did nothing.
Haha, told ya. We check the distributor on mine too, and it checked out fine. Whenever my mechanic "switched out the ECU" or whatever he did, it fixed the problem. Now I need to remove the IAC and clean it, if I could find it...
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

Yea.. well I'm going to try the disty because it could be a multitude of problems and the only way that I can find out which problem it is; is if I replace them one at a time. So I am starting with the cheapest and will work upward.
- Kevin

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”