My ZE swap issues...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

My ZE swap issues...

Post by wytbishop »

So I got my ZE in over the weekend with 40some hours of struggle and whatnot. I have a couple of challenges that I'm looking for input on.

First, it wouldn't start. The battery was dead so I boosted it off my Dad's truck and it sounded like it was labouring to turn over. I cranked for about 30 seconds and noticed smoke coming from the jumper cables. So for some reason the starter was drawing enough current to over heat the 4 gauge wires. It also sounded wrong. It was easy to turn by hand when I was working on it on the engine stand, and I'm very sure that the cam timing was right. Maybe it jumped? Any other theories as to why it's hard to crank all of a sudden?

While I had it out I changed the clutch slave cylinder so I had the entire clutch circuit disassembled. I also changed the brake booster to the modded MX6 booster so I had the brake master off as well. The brake pedal goes right to the floor and the clutch won't bleed. I didn't bench bleed the brake master but I did pre fill the clutch slave. The clutch master should have filled just by pumping the pedal. So any idea why the clutch won't bleed?

An constructive input is appreciated.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mr.mx-3

Re: My ZE swap issues...

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

1. you need to bench bleed the brake master. 2.you prolly have a s--- load of air in the lines since removing all of this creates this problem try grativity bleeding the system then have someone pump the pedal for you but I don't think this should have anything to do with the motor not turning over.. as far as it overloading the wires check all of your grounds make sure you didn't leave anything loose and be sure everything is getting a good contact or you didn't cross anything up ..
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I believe that the jumper cables melting is a mechanical problem. Bad grounds wouldn't cause excess current to flow. Higher load would cause the starter to draw more current than the cables could handle. I had the K8 exhaust manifolds on the ZE. Is it possible that they are so restrictive that it makes the engine harder to turn? I don't know...I thought it was fairly common for guys to use the K8 exhaust until they could upgrade.

I know I'll figure out the brakes and clutch, I just can't figure out what would make the engine so hard to turn.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

wytbishop wrote:Is it possible that they are so restrictive that it makes the engine harder to turn?
No, the K8 logs are rumored to actually flow better then the stock DE/ZE logs so that cannot be the issue.
wytbishop wrote:Any other theories as to why it's hard to crank all of a sudden?
I would check the cam timing like you stated just to make sure it is correct. Do you have another starter that you can try? Re-check all the grounds to make sure they are connected and clean.
wytbishop wrote:The brake pedal goes right to the floor and the clutch won't bleed. I didn't bench bleed the brake master but I did pre fill the clutch slave. The clutch master should have filled just by pumping the pedal. So any idea why the clutch won't bleed?
When I did my swap, my brother decided he was smart and disconnected my slave for no reason. So I sat in my car with a dead a-- clutch pedal for at least 20-30 minutes. There was so much air in the line it was retarded. A tip is to just pump the pedal with your hand but do not hit the floor with the pedal, stay about a inch above the floor and pump 5X then bleed, repeat, repeat, repeat. In about 20 min minutes you should feel some pressure just keep going. This is starting like a pR0n now, but you get the idea. Make sure you check your brakes lines too.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Thanks Solo...that's what I think too. I'm sure the timing skipped and it's compressing when it should be exhausting.

As for the brakes and the clutch I worked at the clutch for a while, but clearly not long enough. I think you're right there too. On the down side I think I will have to remove the booster again because I'm pretty sure that I left the push rod too long and the piston is partially depressed...which is going to cause braking issues.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm also open to other theories.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”