95 mx3 1.6 no heat?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
petiec

95 mx3 1.6 no heat?

Post by petiec »

Might sell car dew to this problem? Replaced heater core,replaced termostat,replaced rad.and flushed it last year.the car has very little heat even put cardboard in front of the rad. slightly warmer but nothing to write home about lol.tried 195 and new 185 termostat no real diffrence? hoses on rad warm but not hot. hopefully someone can help me out living in Canada winters can get really cold?love the car but might sell it because of very little heat? Thank you guys :)
solo_ryder

Re: 95 mx3 1.6 no heat?

Post by solo_ryder »

"Dew" lol

Anyways, your car have a block heater? Try using that in the winter mornings, that will make a difference. Also, get a hyrdometer for the coolant and test it to see what coolant levels you have. Maybe you have to much coolant in the system and not enough water.. causing it to take forever to warm up.

Check to see if you got a bad waterpump as well, maybe it is not circulating properly
petiec

Post by petiec »

No block heater cant use it since i live in an apartment no where to blug it in?New coolant Prestone Pre mix so no guessing there :lol: Dont know about the water pump doesnt leak but will look into it? :shrug: Thanks again solo_ryder for your help and if anyone else has any suggestion l would be very thankful to you guys :D Big fan of the Mx3 but cant afford two cars :(
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I got no blug either. Is your engine temp sensor at about 8-9 o'clock position?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
petiec

Post by petiec »

l just looked at it and the plug is pointing towards the front,bumper? so i am guessing yes 8-9 o clock :shrug: Thanks also Daninski :)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

That says your engine is warmed up so you should get heat. Check that the linkage to your heat control knob is connected. Follow the linkage and see if there's a problem all the way to the open closed valve.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I think it may be your waterpump. If the hoses are warm but not hot, then I think that the waterpump is not circulating the coolant very well hence it not making it to the heater core.. That would explain ur symptoms
petiec

Post by petiec »

Forgot to say that l have already checked the linkage to the controls all good Thanks though :) But the more l think about it,it makes sense about the water pump? :confused2: l remember looking at the Rad. nozzel when l was filling the rad. with new pre mix coolant and noticed that the coolant was moving,flowing by very slowly though?And yes when l was waiting for it to warm up the temp. gauge was a little over half but the colant was barely warm?And no leaks at the water pump ?Can it still be failing on me? :? Thanks again guys :D
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If the water pump stopped working, wouldn't he overheat? How long have you run the car to check the heating? If the water pump had stopped working, I would think anything over 30 minutes in cold weather would cause the car to overheat - or less time, you have a 1.6 so it will be slower to warm up than a bigger engine.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

onlytrueromeo wrote:If the water pump stopped working, wouldn't he overheat? How long have you run the car to check the heating? If the water pump had stopped working, I would think anything over 30 minutes in cold weather would cause the car to overheat - or less time, you have a 1.6 so it will be slower to warm up than a bigger engine.
Well the pump is still working most likely, just damaged.. a bad bearing or some bent or broken fins/corrosion to fins can cause it to slow down.. it wouldnt overheat the motor persay, but it also wouldnt circulate very well either.. considering it is cold where he is at then that may be his saving grace.
petiec

Post by petiec »

drove it for several hours and still very,very little heat?Thats with 3 sweaters and a thick coat on.Had the car for 3 years and every winter same thing. :( In the summer it can get very hot and drove it for several hours also with no problems what so ever?The temp. gauge reads a little over half and the hoses on the rad. are just warm ?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You could have an air lock. Damn we're grasping at straws here. If your pump was knackered your engine should be over heating as well. Check the hoses going to and from the firewall for kinks.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

petiec

Post by petiec »

checked again for knots in hoses,no there are no kinks or anything like that?And when l replaced the termostat l made sure no air in lines when filling the coolant i remember having it idle for at least 25 to 30 minutes in one spot to make sure no air bubbles in the Rad. and l can stick my finger in the Rad. opening and the coolant just warm and the hoses to?l also had a 92 1.6 before l got this one and drove it for at least 5 years and it had great heating :shock:
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If the coolant is just warm, the coolant is in fact circulating, but it's circulating too much!

Temp sensor if its not your thermostat!

Seriously, get a new temp sensor and check your wires to it!

Also - check your fans/tps - I know on the v6's if your tps is not set right, your fans will either not come on or stay on permanently which will affect things!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You could of got a bad thermostat. Replace it and see if that helps. New parts don't always work or it's jammed open.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”