spyder/carpart4u projector post-install thoughts (w pics)

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
eyezpinned

spyder/carpart4u projector post-install thoughts (w pics)

Post by eyezpinned »

i received my projector headlights from carpart4u on tuesday and finally put them in last night. it'd snowed a couple times last week, so i was waiting for a stretch of clear skies to throw these bad boys in. my car looks like it's been rolled in flour from all the rock-salt it's accumulated, so i'm washing it today and then posting some pics.

first off, this isn't a write-up, but just some things that went through my head before, during, and after the install. if someone can take something from my little insights, great.

THE TRANSACTION:
smooth. i bought the black lights. i declined the hid upgrade because i already have a kit for my stock lights. if you're in this position, you just need to by a set of h1 hid bulbs. anyway, shipping was quick, 4 business days, and came via ups. the packaging was perfect with everything packed tight.

QUALITY:
comparable to oem. the lamps are solid. i was expecting them to be lighter, or cheaper. there are some really shoddy projectors floating around out there, but these aren't them. the plastics are solid, and the lenses have a nice thickness to them.

INSTALL:
pretty straight-forward. the bolt configurations are a little different, they actually don't have the bolt that anchors them to the stock bracket. i removed mine for more maneuverability in addressing gaps. you have to work a little bit to get the top tabs to slide into place, but when you do they're a nice tight fit.

FITMENT ISSUES:
the lights are a bit different shape-wise than the stock lamps. i also have an aftermarket bumper and a cf hood and both have their own adjustment requirements. If you have either, be prepared to move things around to get everything to line up.

WIRING:
the headlights themselves are simple enough, but between the halos and the little leds, you have ten wires that need splicing. my bumper doesn't have side-markers, so i was able to remove those sockets and wire everything directly to them. just connect all the positives
and all the negatives, and your good to go.

THE LOOK:
beautiful. the halos are white and look great with the regular h1s. the leds are a bit brighter than the halos, but i even like them. my hid bulbs haven't come yet, and im just hoping that the intensity of the hids dont take away from the halos. the h1 is a great upgrade from stock 9004s and i think most people will be completely satisfied without hid.

THE WILDCARD:
if you have an alarm and wire the halos/leds accordingly, it looks awesome when you arm the alarm and get those confirmation flashes from the headlights.

93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Re: spyder/carpart4u projector post-install thoughts (w pics)

Post by hotsiit »

Hey Rocco, looks great! :2thumbsup:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
sishi

Post by sishi »

Will you put some pic at night? To see leds and halos...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

sishi wrote:Will you put some pic at night? To see leds and halos...
When usiing this forum, and you have a question, click on "search" in the red banner, under the MX-3 at the top of the page ^^. Then type your question.
Here is what you would have found:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=68499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

hey thanks chris... long time no see... hows that bumper holdin up? you can see mine's still on. that lip bottoms out once in awhile since lowering it though (i always think i'm gonna rip it off).

anyways, yeah jesses got the "all you need to know and then some" write-up on these... very informative and thorough w/ pics... i just like to reflect on my mods when i think they went well. i will say one thing though, the more aftermarket stuff you have going, on the harder it is to make it look good. now i have cf hood meets projectors meets aftermarket bumper, and they didnt want to be friends when i first introduced them all believe me.
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”