Replaced air filter, now won't start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mikitu

Replaced air filter, now won't start

Post by Mikitu »

Actually haven't replaced it, just cleaned with my k\n kit. I've put it back on.
Cranks and then dies, the dashlights dim also.

This is my setup:

BTW there is kind of lid inside the stock intake tubing, a kind of conic seal before the air filter, is it normal?
Mikitu

Re: Replaced air filter, now won't start

Post by Mikitu »

Well, checked again...

No CEL.
11V on the battery.
Radio comes on, but if i turn on the lights radio goes dead.
After the radio and lights tinkering, turning the key doesn't even move the starter engine.

I'm thinking battery problem, but reading 11v on the multimeter should be good, right?
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

11V is way too low, charge it. It should be around 12V.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Mine usually sits a bit under 14. Have you been trying to start it alot?
Mikitu wrote: BTW there is kind of lid inside the stock intake tubing, a kind of conic seal before the air filter, is it normal?
That's the VAF - vane air flow which measured volume of air entering the engine, essential to the running of your engine. Did you disconnect the wiring from the VAF during cleaning? Drop it? Possibly a vacuum leak somewhere.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Did you plug the Vaf back in if you unpluged it?? I did that once ahaha silly mistake!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I believe it is called the volume air flow sensor. The vane-type is called mass air flow sensor. They both do the same thing, but in different ways.

Your battery should be at approximately 12.6V without a load. Under load (as tested by a shop), it should not drop below 10V, but technicians should check for the amperage output of the battery.
If you have a voltmeter in the car, you should see it at about 14V with the lights on or any sort of draw that would prompt the alternator to work while the engine is running.

Did you leave your key on while you cleaned your intake? Maybe you just need to charge the battery.
Cody
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

the first thing i would do is check the plug on your vaf if you unpluged it, cause if you did unplug it and you forgot to replug it the car would start and then die... so check that and recharge your battery so you can start it and then youll see if it does the same thing maybe your vaf is stuck closed like mine did once...luckly i had stolen one at the scrap yard 2 monts before lol... why did i steal it.. no idea but im happy i did lol...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Is the intake maybe touching the cone in the VAF? The air is suppose to push that back, and the computer uses that to know what to do for air-fuel. That intake looks like it's right in there.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Mikitu wrote:Well, checked again...

No CEL.
11V on the battery.
Radio comes on, but if i turn on the lights radio goes dead.
After the radio and lights tinkering, turning the key doesn't even move the starter engine.

I'm thinking battery problem, but reading 11v on the multimeter should be good, right?

This might be a long shot, but check the wires coming off your battery and around the main fuse box. My 94 RS would do this every once in a while and I would jiggle the wires around and she would run fine for a while then I would have to repeat the process. It had a salvage title tho and I had a lot of electrical demons with that one. Just move the wires around and see if you see anything odd or out of place. Like I said it's a long shot but worth a try. Good luck.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

defianetly sounds like a battery problem, does the filter have a cone on the inside which would push that "lid thing" as you put it, into the VAF? did you put the air filter on farther then it was before? did you over tighten it and brake the VAF????
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Mikitu

Post by Mikitu »

I've already thought of the vaf being unplugged or any of the surrounding cables but they weren't.
The filter was the same placed in the same position and not overtight, but good call anyway.

But my battery was very dead, and while dying made my alarm go crazy (in silence) and that killed whatever battery was left in the last days.

Replaced the battery and it starts right up better than ever. But my headunit is dead, it worked until i took out the old battery. It's a simple pioneer headunit doesn't ask for codes is just dead.
Any ideias? Blown fuse in the head unit? I'm really bad at this electric stuff :roll:
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

Mikitu wrote:I've already thought of the vaf being unplugged or any of the surrounding cables but they weren't.
The filter was the same placed in the same position and not overtight, but good call anyway.

But my battery was very dead, and while dying made my alarm go crazy (in silence) and that killed whatever battery was left in the last days.

Replaced the battery and it starts right up better than ever. But my headunit is dead, it worked until i took out the old battery. It's a simple pioneer headunit doesn't ask for codes is just dead.
Any ideias? Blown fuse in the head unit? I'm really bad at this electric stuff :roll:
yeah like you said maybe blown fuse in the headunit... take a look at that or if not maybe its just the radio fuse...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Mikitu wrote:I've already thought of the vaf being unplugged or any of the surrounding cables but they weren't.

I blew a fuse once in my MX6 and the brake lights wouldn't work. I then swapped the fuse from the "Room" to it so it would work. There should be something like "room" that describes the interior. If that fuse is blown, when you open the door, your interior lights won't come on either. Check that fuse out, hopefully it's that simple.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”