Headers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mr.mx-3

Headers

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

This has probally been posted a thousand times on here and I aplogize but time is of the essance and I'm not havin too much luck doing a search.Ok I finally was able to order my ze/trans yesterday after 3 years of waiting and want to get the motor/drivetrain/exuast part took care of all in one shot I was doing some searching for parts and ran upon a set of pacesetter headers (yes from what I've read from a few posts pacesetter is not highly looked up on I would preferr Borla but these are what I have found so far) for a mx6 and wanted to know if this would also fit our cars with out any issues and would a cat back exuast system for a mx6 fit as well being the headers are 2.5 in. and the cat back is the same for the mx6 but it's 2.1/4 for the mx3,also I want to go with a alunimum fly who would be the best for one of these and would this be a good idea for a daily driver/weekend racer plus I have plans for a stage 3 clutch kit what would be a better one for this set up 4 or 6 puck or solid disk I want something that is going to hold up and last as long as a oem paired to it's original motor..Also would like to know where I could find some polyurathane motor/trans mounts and strut mounts or something that will hold up better than the oem mounts..

Thanks for your help any great advice would be well apperciated :welder:
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
mazdags94

Re: Headers

Post by mazdags94 »

ok, here goes:

1. Headers - Will work fine, some have talked about minor modifications but easy to do.

2. Cat Back - Probably won't be a direct fit because the MX6 is so much longer than the MX-3. You would prolly have to shorten pipes somewhere and the routing may be different also (w/ different angles). Pacesetter makes a catback system, check eBay as I know they sell them. NOPI.com used to sell them but I'm not sure if they do anymore. Those are a direct bolt on... I know bc I did own one on my previous MX3. If you wanna stick with a 2.5 exhuast, consider making your own. Sometimes they can be cheaper and you can route it where you want.

3. Motor mounts - MANY MANY MANY people on here just simply fill them (if theyre in decent shape of course). I'm not sure on the actual product name, I think it's Devcon Durathane 94, but everyone just fills their stock mounts to accommodate the additional torque of the ZE. You could also purchase a set of AWR mounts (thats the name of them but not sure where to got them bc I never looked.
This thread will help you out as well: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ts#p464919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck

Brian
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

1) Pacesetter headers: I loved them on my MX3, but no they do not even come close to being a bolt up project. Here's a link to some pics when you put them on.
http://www.iceyrecords.com/drew/mx3/01- ... tment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The primaries run into things and there's no room for the y-pipe on mx3 exhaust. If you're going to get a new exhaust done at the same time I would see if you can get the primaries to bolt up with the y-pipe, then go have an exhaust shop make you one to line up with the pacesetter y-pipe.

I really liked my pacesetters and consider them worth the effort. I paired them with a 22" magnaflow resonator and a borla muffler and there was none of the raspiness that typical pacesetters produce.

2) MX6 exhaust: No, it won't fit. I would just have an exhaust shop make you one to fit your pacesetters

3) Motor Mounts: AWR Racing makes a front/rear mount for the mx3, but filling your mounts is pretty easy and cheap as well.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

hppwdn wrote:1) Pacesetter headers: I loved them on my MX3, but no they do not even come close to being a bolt up project.
Oops.... maybe it was just the eBay no name pipes I was thinking about :shrug: :P
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

hppwdn wrote:1) Pacesetter headers: I loved them on my MX3, but no they do not even come close to being a bolt up project. Here's a link to some pics when you put them on.
http://www.iceyrecords.com/drew/mx3/01- ... tment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats^^^^ for the 4cy he has the V6.

I have the ebay ones I am going to install this week if I get around to it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

colinsmx3 wrote:
hppwdn wrote:1) Pacesetter headers: I loved them on my MX3, but no they do not even come close to being a bolt up project. Here's a link to some pics when you put them on.
Thats^^^^ for the 4cy he has the V6.

I have the ebay ones I am going to install this week if I get around to it.
That's the V6, he mentions front and rear headers, and going back a bit at the site proves that he has a V6.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

OH WELL YOU SUCK!! :love:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I cut 9" off my pipe to the resonator.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Any Suggestions on the clutch/Fly combo.?? Who makes the best fly??Fidanza $375,SPEC $379,or Clutch Masters $399?? Would this be something I could use as a daily driver??

I would love to stick a turbo on this thing but that's a little more than I can dish out right now and far beyond my knowlage
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

SO which would work better ss autochrome headers or pacesetters??? Thinking of going with the pacesetter headersMX6 and pacesetter catback mx3 would this work better or not??? need an Idea motor's going to be shipped tomorrow and want to try to get everything here around the same time so I can start on the swap.And what would I need to do to get headers to clear I know yall said there would be fitment probs.and mods. needed to be done was thinking heating them up with a Rose Bud torch and sticking a pipe inside them and pulling down to get the clearance needed..Is this fesiable or just totally wrong??

Thanks
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

bump
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Check out this link. http://www.importperformanceparts.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

yea I've been there that's where I got my Fidanza fly,clutch,shifter
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Mr.mx-3 wrote:SO which would work better ss autochrome headers or pacesetters??? Thinking of going with the pacesetter headersMX6 and pacesetter catback mx3 would this work better or not??? need an Idea motor's going to be shipped tomorrow and want to try to get everything here around the same time so I can start on the swap.And what would I need to do to get headers to clear I know yall said there would be fitment probs.and mods. needed to be done was thinking heating them up with a Rose Bud torch and sticking a pipe inside them and pulling down to get the clearance needed..Is this fesiable or just totally wrong??

Thanks
It depends on what you're looking for. I have the long tube headers that make about 7HP more than short tube headers (which are good for about 7HP over stock), but I miss having some torque in the low end. It's not quite as fun driving around town, but in the high rpm, they're pretty awesome. They seem to have caused me to lose 1-2 mpg, I think due to producing better volumetric efficiency at higher rpm. Also, they sound MEAN, but at wide open throttle, they are raspy. I have a straight through 2.25" exhaust witha FlowMaster Hushpower, and only 1 bend to side exhaust. I believe this to be the best exhaust for anything N/A, other than an all out drag car with ITB's. Then I'd go with 2.5".
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

ok I wanted to get something that would give me a little more torque I found the pacesetters @ http://www.autopartswherehouse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for $135 in black for the mx6 and the cat back system for the mx3 at http://www.importperformanceparts.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for $239 and wanted to get something that I could pretty much bolt up myself insted of paying a exhaust shop to do it and plus I live far away from any exhuast shop so getting it there with just headers and no exhaust would be a big prob.because I know I would get pulled and a ton of tickets.. so I need something I can do here at home when I drop in the motor..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”