Air leaks titanium tip freeflow

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SstennizZ

Air leaks titanium tip freeflow

Post by SstennizZ »

On my K8 I have a freeflow muffler with titanium tip and bolt in silencer.
Last week I noticed the outside of the tip was covered in black powder and the muffler starts making a lot more noise.
The leak is at the side where the tip is bolted to the silencer..
I will not take the silencer out, noise already is deafening in the car at 2000 to 2500 rpm..
Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do about it? Can it do damage to the muffler?

Here's a picture of before the leakage.
solo_ryder

Re: Air leaks titanium tip freeflow

Post by solo_ryder »

Take a after pic.

Its not that big of a deal, the muffler is just breaking in, just like a resonator would. They all get louder after time. As for a small leak, thats not that big of a deal I would think, take some pics of the soot so we can give you some more info. I wouldnt be worried though
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Air leaks titanium tip freeflow

Post by fowljesse »

If it concerns you, and you don't plan to take the silencer out, you could maybe JB Weld it, or take out the screw, rivet it, and fill in the rivet with a dowell, or JB Weld. Or, take out the screw, thread the hole, and bolt it with a bolt that has teflon tape, or threadlok on it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”