Water leak in ZE intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Kenzie

Water leak in ZE intake

Post by Kenzie »

Hey guys,
My boyfriend pulled the intake manifold off the 3 tonight (straight neck ZE) to find water on top of the valves. I've been having trouble getting it to start the past few weeks but I'm thinking that has something to do with harness issues (now replacing it with a brand new oem harness) but I'm not sure if it's related ??? It's also throwing a LH O2 senor code off and on...that too could be unrelated though.

Any suggestions?

TIA!
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Water leak in ZE intake

Post by fowljesse »

Huh... I don't know how it could have gotten on top of the valves, unless it leaked from the IAT lines when he was taking off the IM, or if the IAT broke badly somehow, and coolant came into the IM. Did you have steam coming out of the tailpipe before he pulled it off? Was the water in all the ports?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Think Jesses on the right track here. I am currently cleaning my IAC (Idle Air Control- metal section, bit screwed to the bottom of the throttle body). The gasket between the air chamber and the coolant flow is so thin, and mine was quite cooked making it close to failing. This could let water in quite easily. I'll be using some liquid gasket to help seal, as the gaskets aren't readily available.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

I had to cut one of the corners of it off, bc of the straight neck intake mani, I think Im just going to loop the water lines back into the head. And yes water was on top of all the intake valves
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

ahh yea just get a bypass connector then. Might roughen up your idle a bit when its cold starting but sure you'll get over it! Cheap water injection solution :lol:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, I typed tired.. I meant IAC :)
I was going to ask you if you altered the TB or IM to fit the straight neck, but I thought it was too much of a longshot.
If you loop the lines, I'm sure you know the idle will fluctuate. However, that would be better than vaporlock! Just be sure to seal it up well, or you'll have unmetered air instead of coolant.
Maybe you could get a small heating element, and put it right next to the wax in the IAC to heat it up when neccessary :shrug:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”