knock sensor q

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ninjajim4

knock sensor q

Post by ninjajim4 »

well i'm still trying to get rid of this slight stumbling/misfire problem, and i'm pretty sure its the knock sensor, since i'm pulling code 05 off the ecu.

basically what happened is, a long time ago my car wouldn't start. i looked over the harness and found a broken wire, which was the knock sensor ground. on the harness side, i just grounded this wire, and everything ran fine. this is probably the point at which the stumbling became an issue.

this weekend, i took that grounded wire off the grounding point, spliced open the insulation around the main wire of the knock sensor, which has the ground wire wrapped around it, and put those two together. essentially it should be exactly like it was intended to be. however, this way the car doesn't start.

so i have two questions. first of all, what's up with this? why isn't it working like this? secondly, i'm trying to figure out if i even need to have the wiring attached to ground wire of the sensor, or if just any grounding point is fine. like i said, i'm getting the knock sensor code, so i'm curious if the circuit is not complete bc of the wiring, or if something is actually wrong with the sensor.

i'd aprpeciate your input
caruscar

Re: knock sensor q

Post by caruscar »

I had the same problem because of that senosr getting hit with water from the water cooling system being right there. What I would adivse you is use the same ground and under stand that if you increase the amount of ground comming threw that wire you make off set something else in the circuit. If I where you just replace the knock sensor $130.00 bucks Rock Auto.com sales Denso, or keep the same setup you had before and don't mess with it. Spend the money don't go mickey mouse on throws things this car is like and opera if one intrument is out the hole thing sound bad.
mx3boyze

Re: knock sensor q

Post by mx3boyze »

Go to the Junkyard and pull a few off including the wiring at a reasonable length to where you could splice at a more comfortable location. Also check for Cuts, Burns ect... In the wiring even if you did find a break, there could be another. Im pretty sure it has to have a certain amount of voltage, and if there is more or less wire it may throw the readings off.

The knock sensor detects knock like detonation or preignition and retards the timing accordingly. It shouldnt effect anything if its not working. So you may have another problem elsewhere.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”