preasure in the radiator and oil in the water?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dan031287

preasure in the radiator and oil in the water?

Post by dan031287 »

I have just bought about 3 weeks ago a 1996 mx3 1.8 v6. I noticed that there was steam coming from under the hood i had alook and it was from where the radiator cap was venting. i am aware that it is most likley yo be due to the head gasket. but before i rip the heads of and change them, is there anything that can cause this?
MX3 1.8 eunos 1996
turbulence23

Re: preasure in the radiator and oil in the water?

Post by turbulence23 »

first just buy a new radiator cap..

most likely it is just the rubber seal underneath the cap that isnt good anymore, thus letting off steam when the system heats up and pressure also builds up..

if that isnt the solution, then check if there isnt too much coolant in the system causing a overpressure in the system
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If your oil looks milky then there could be head gasket issues but Ya, it sounds like just the cap from what your describing.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
dan031287

Post by dan031287 »

Hey thankyou both very much i will give it ago. another thing is that oil is pooling above the spark plugs i have checked for leaks and there isnt anythign obviouse any ideas?
MX3 1.8 eunos 1996
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

It's not uncommon for the grommets which come in the valve cover gasket set to leak oil into the spark plug holes. It's a matter of throwing some new valve cover gaskets/grommets in. I'd take care of that before the oil starts to eat through the spark plug wire boots.
Cody
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I think you may need a water pump. That boiling your getting... It happened to me on my crx. I changed the water pump and everything was good after that. Do the cap and all first.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
dan031287

Post by dan031287 »

You are all amazing filler cap needed replaceing all seems fine now. and the oil leak is the rings so illl get them sorted asap is it a big job or just a case of getting the inlet manifold and rocker cover of?
MX3 1.8 eunos 1996

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”