Need a supercharger expert!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Need a supercharger expert!

Post by fowljesse »

I have an idea I want to develope, and would like advice.
I would like to power a supercharger with a 2 stroke engine.
I'd like to know which S/C is best for a ZE, and how much HP it would take to run it, as well as the logistics of matching engine rpm.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Re: Need a supercharger expert!

Post by onlytrueromeo »

LOL this sounds crazy...if you are going to do this, you should set up some sort of switch like in mad max, where you can turn the supercharger on from inside the car.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That image actually had actually popped into my head when I was thinking about this, and may have inspired this idea.
If this works (I can't see why it wouldn't), imagine being able to bolt on 100 or more HP for about $300.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

LOL...the other issue is fuel/engine management. Wouldn't you still want some sort of standalone? That way you can have 1 map for non super charged, and another for supercharged. It would be cool to have the two change automatically.

If I could have a switch/buttom that would act like in mad max I would be soooooooooo happy.
Unfortunately I do not have the money for this!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Speaking purely theoretically...I am no expert.

When the SC is connected to the car's crankshaft, it obviously runs at the same RPM as the car. However just like a Turbo, the SC produces optimum boost only within a specific window. A larger SC is best at higer RPM while a smaller one will improve mid range...etc. Driving it with an external source theoretically allows the SC to be run at optimum RPM all the time. So you could in theory vary the RPM of the SC independantly of the engine to have it in it's optimum rnage more the time. Determining the optimum SC speed at all engine speeds is beyond me but the controls are not too difficult.

It's a very interesting question.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Why dont you just do the eaton m45 or whatever is called where the ac goes(modding of the front frame may be necesary)

and turbo?

like the twin charged turbo probe on probetalk?

he has a turbo set up and on top of that a supercharger he can turn on and off with a switch.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That sounds more complicated than what I'm thinking about. :?
Yeah, Wytbishop, once it's figured out, the 2 stroke could bethrottled off of the TB cable, and have a changing radius cam, to match the appropriate rpm, for the perfect boost.
It would definitely need a stand alone mgmt system.
I'm very interested in the idea of adding power without taking any.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dude, just use a leaf blower!

(yes it does work, lol)
fowljesse wrote: I'm very interested in the idea of adding power without taking any.
True, but you're also adding weight.
onlytrueromeo wrote:LOL this sounds crazy...if you are going to do this, you should set up some sort of switch like in mad max, where you can turn the supercharger on from inside the car.
I'm pretty sure there are clutch-driven superchargers. On my Xterra's stock supercharger, there's a vacuum solenoid bypass valve that when I tie closed, doesn't provide any boost at all.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Shades

Post by Shades »

So where in the engine bay are you gonna mount this two stroke engine?... on the hood, new hood ornament?
What RPM is the two stroke gonna be turning at to provide you with enough air flow?... will it even turn fast enough?
You're adding more weight to the car and using up more fuel... interesting.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It would easily fit where my battery used to be. I can get a 30lb. (or less) engine that would have more than enough power, and would have to gear it down a bit to run a S/C. It would weigh about the same as a turbo I/C setup. This wouldn't be for gas savings, just go fast, but I suspect that it would get about the same mileage in the end, on a small boost setting. Some cars have mild turbos/ Superchargers, strictly for better mileage. I also hypothesize that it would barely use more fuel than Turbo, or super, of the same output.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fowljesse wrote: It would weigh about the same as a turbo I/C setup.
I'm not sure how much boost you're planing, or that it would output, but you should still get an intercooler if you're anything more than a few PSI
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

why does everyone think small standalone engine to run a supercharger. isnt that just simplified as an air compressor? or old mates leaf blower.
i always hear people say crazy s--- like this, im still yet to see it done. i wonder why¿? NOT.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:) Interesting first post.
I thought I was the only one to seriously consider it. I haven't gotten around to it, because there are more immediate things I'm doing.
If anyone could pull it off, and make it work... it's me.
The reason I'm considering it, is because it would be (on my engine) an extra 100+ HP, that would be reliable, and wouldn't tax the engine at all. AND no one has done it.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

sure they have its called n2o :)

Gives you the power when you need it, and keeps your engine reliable (if done right), its also pretty cheap to buy. Your gas mileage wont be effect when you don't need the power, and the power is there at the push of a button. You wont have to rebuild anything in the system as you would with a 2 stroke. Thus the reason n2o is the best bang for your buck.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

All good points.
I was saying no one has done a stand alone air charger that works. Okay, the leaf blower worked, but wasn't feasible.

Return to “Forced Induction”