Short shifter rattles!?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Murdastylez15

Short shifter rattles!?

Post by Murdastylez15 »

I recently installed my short shifter, it's one of the cheap ones from EEEEEEBAAAAAAY...when it's in gear and I release the gas to coast, my car gets louder and starts to vibrate causing my shifter to start rattling loud. Now....is it something I've done wrong, I made sure it was snug fit and everything.

Help!
Dying to be TURBO CHARGED
SmoothMX3

Re: Short shifter rattles!?

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Mine done the same with my first mx3... It's because they are cheap. Other then that, It's because your bushings might be worn in the shifter or either the shifter screw is loose. (im talkin about the screw and bushings on the bottom of the shifter.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

mine doesnt vibrate any more then the stock shifter. i dont think it has anything to do with the shifter itself, maybe bushings but i really dont know.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

when you are in gear and release the clutch it puts a load on the engine, the way it moves and exhaust pressure can make the exhaust piping bounce around on its rubber hangers. is your exhaust bigger? could your shifter be hitting it possibly?
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Murdastylez15

Post by Murdastylez15 »

projectzemx3 wrote:when you are in gear and release the clutch it puts a load on the engine, the way it moves and exhaust pressure can make the exhaust piping bounce around on its rubber hangers. is your exhaust bigger? could your shifter be hitting it possibly?
I did have an aftermarket muffler put in before I did the short shifter...that could be the problem. :shrug: You guys have been very helpful, I will let you know what I find out. THANKS!
Murdastylez15

Post by Murdastylez15 »

The problem is that the round bottom of the short shifter is smaller than the fitment that it connects to. So when I drive and the vibrations causes the shifter to rattle in the connection. Have no idea how to fix it though. Maybe one day.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Murdastylez15 wrote:The problem is that the round bottom of the short shifter is smaller than the fitment that it connects to. So when I drive and the vibrations causes the shifter to rattle in the connection. Have no idea how to fix it though. Maybe one day.
:shock:
There should be two bushings inside the hole in the shifter at the round part at the bottom. The shift linkage should fit over these bushings very tightly, then the bolt run through the hole. You are definitely missing those bushings, or the fork where the linkage meets the shifter is spread too far apart.

One of those two scenarious...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Murdastylez15

Post by Murdastylez15 »

:confused2: Haha! you are very right. I think your scenario is very correct. I seriously doubt if I lost the bushings. So I will find my old shifter because I put all of those things together. Thanks for the help.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

You may as well go to the Mazda dealership and order new ones. There are 4, and they are only $4 each. Came out to about $16 for me. They do wear out after time.

Or you can buy the bronze-oil ones from Corksport. They are about $30 for a set, and make the shifting sharper and more precise, but allow more vibration.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Correction, because I love correcting you, umcamara. I hound the forums just to find your posts... and correct them.

The mazda dealership's price just went up to SIX dollars a bushing... and some spare change.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

How does one eliminate the play in the shifter on the part of the arm that swivels. You have the part where the two bushings connect to the transmission cable housing, and then theres the swivel spot where in the middle the arm goes back to the short shift. That swivel spot where the arm has play in it but there is no bolt to remove. Is there a way to remove this play without the use of the dremmel? I think it is also the source of my rattle in the short shift. Any suggestions?
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

YOu have to drill that rivet out and replace it with a bolt.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Sounds like fun, also sounds like you've had experience with this problem. Do I need to get another set of bushings or washers or anything like that or just get a bolt? If I dremmel out that and put a bolt in, it's still gonna slide back and forth. Is there supposed to be some play on that piece?
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

go to your mazda dealership. Order a shifter linkage bolt for the TRANSMISSION SIDE (not the shifter side, gotta be the longer of the two)
Get a lock washer and a nut, as well as two standard shift linkage bushings (or three sets of two if you didn't replace the other ones)

Dremel out one side of the permanent bushing thing, then slide the new one in with new bushings.

I just did this on two MX-3's and it makes a world of difference. You have to have a dremel so go to wal mart and get a cheap one, but make sure to use the reinforced dremel pads. the other ones are crap
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
ManNinco15

Post by ManNinco15 »

Right on!

Return to “Transmissions”