Creaking noises from the hatch

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
DJsMX-3

Creaking noises from the hatch

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hello everyone..

I have this really enoying problem, when driving on bad uneven roads i get theese creaking noises from the hatch :crying:

Up untill now i have tried to clean the rubberlist and put silicone on it afterwards, i have lubed the hinges twice and adjusted the lock, with no luck...

Only thing i can think of now is to pull the dampers off and clean/grease the ballbearing, but i havent goten to that just yet and i dont really think that it will do any good either..

Have any of you guys experienced the same problem?
If so, what did you do to get the hatch silent again??

Any help appreciated :D

Dennis
Last edited by DJsMX-3 on October 26th, 2008, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
turbulence23

Re: Creaking noises fron the hatch

Post by turbulence23 »

spray some WD40 or similar grease on the hinging point of the trunk dampers ( where they turn and are mounted to the car)

it will definatly get rid of the creaking noise
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I had this on both of mine. On one, I made a shim out of an aluminum can, and on the other, I lowered the latch reciever, so it latched tighter. Both worked
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Turbolence 23 your talking about the hinge behind the B-pillar plactic??

That gives some sence, since i have pulled the headliner and all the plastic surroundings of off the hatch and it seems like the sound is comming up top somewhere, i suspected the hinges of the hatch but they were bolted on tight and i greased them..

Ill have to try and grease that hinge when the wheather permits tearing the car apart...

Fowljesse i allready adjusted the lock and greased it and the sound isnt comming from the back, but more like inside the cabin, but what is this shim your talking about and where did you mount it?

BTW i have a strutbar in the back, i was thinking about taking it out, but the guys on the german forum say that putting a strutbar in normally eliminate the creaking sounds from the hatch, so guess it would be even worse without it..
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

i had this problem also.... mine sounded like someone bouncing on a bed with bad springs. turned out the latch was rubbing. to verify have someone sit in the back seat while it's doing it and put some pressure on the inside glass. if it goes away, that's probably the culprit. the solution: i had a couple extra hood stops laying around (the rubber block ones with the hole in the middle). affix this to the hatch side of the latch. the rubber should now be wrapped around the latch hook. shut the hatch a few times and trim as necessary. the rubber fills in any space between the latch hook and the actual latch mechanism nullifying that annoying noise that sounds like someone's fooling around in your back seat :wink:
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I just wrapped the hatch latch with a bunch of electrical tape... filled the gap and buffered the friction so there was no more noise :shrug:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

so here's something I stumbled upon tonight...

http://www.mx-3.com/tsb/S047-93.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems maybe we are all looking in the wrong place for this hatch noise... I never realized it could be the hinges!!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

DJsMX-3 wrote:
Fowljesse i allready adjusted the lock and greased it and the sound isnt comming from the back, but more like inside the cabin, but what is this shim your talking about and where did you mount it?

BTW i have a strutbar in the back, i was thinking about taking it out, but the guys on the german forum say that putting a strutbar in normally eliminate the creaking sounds from the hatch, so guess it would be even worse without it..
I wrapped the latch reciever (the little metal bar) in a small piece of aluminum, making it a slightly larger diameter, so the latch wouldn't have room to move.
The strut braces won't help, because the hatch moves independantly of the body.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
DJsMX-3

Re: Creaking noises from the hatch

Post by DJsMX-3 »

So my first thought was probertly correct anyway :roll:
I thought it was the hinges all along but when it didnt help to lube them i started searching elsewhere..

The bullitin says 93 though and i drive a 92...

Anybody know how difficult it is to change the hinges? something that i could do myself with the help of a friend or something :wink:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”