Ryan's Guide to Healthy Lifters

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Ryan's Guide to Healthy Lifters

Post by Ryan »

I did this today, and the results were pretty aweome I thought, and I know a writeup has been done elsewhere, but I want to make a "for dummies and the scared of wrecking stuff" people (like me :D ). Also, I suck at the terminology, so please correct me if I use an odd or wrong name for a part.

Read this through in its entirety before starting. Like anything else. The pictures are all of my SOHC, your engine may look different, but it is the same method! Does someone nice want to take matching pictures of their DOHC for me? That would be very helpful of them :)

Later I link you to the assembly section of your online manual. Check over that and make sure you understand it, and info may differ between engines, so please read that area of the manual so you don't wreck your car.

The goal: Have you ever started up your car and heard this ticking? It follows the revs. Mine was unusually bad on cold mornings. It also usually goes away after engine reaches operating temp. I wanted to fix this.

My method: Replace lifters!

What you'll need:
Replacement lifters. I snagged some off of a similar engine with lower km's (actually, all Mazdas are the same, so take the lowest km mazda) These are pocket material, maybe bring a little baggy along to get them without getting all your pocket treasures stuck to them (lint)
10mm socket
12mm socket
socket extension
torque wrench (capable of 20ft lbs)
pliers
a bigger rag to lay your valvetrains on
two smaller rags to pick valvetrains up with (unless your engine is cold, then finges work fine)

Estimated Time: 10-15 mins/train

What to do:

Step one: Find your replacement lifters! lifters are the little things at the end of each rocker arm that make contact with each spring retainer, compressing the spring and pushing the valve down, opening it. This is what they look like.
Where to find them:
on the underside

Pull them out nicely with pliers, don't scratch the hell out of it. Treat it like its worth $50 (which it very well may cost at a shop) grab it by the fatter bottom part, not the centre

Step two:Pull off your VC, I hope you know how to do this. If not, you are beyond my help.

Step three: Look at your valvetrain and admit to yourself, if aplicable: "I have no idea how any of this shyte works and I am completely lost and impressed" Take a wild guess at which train is being noisy. I guessed exhaust, and I was right. Take your 12mm socket in hand.

Step four: Slowly, from left to right, undo each bolt holding the train down ONE TURN AT A TIME untill each bolt is removeable with fingers, or equal torque. Its normal for two side by side bolts to be harder than the rest. This is the piston that requres these valves to be open at the moment your engine stopped rotating last time you turned it off.

Step five: Leave the bolts in their seats, just make them loose so you can lift them a little and drop them back down (as in no longer fastening anything) Leave them in the holes!

Step six: Grab the train by the ends and lift it over, keeping it upright, to your big rag you laid out on something flat and clean. When putting it down, make sure the bolts stay facing up so they don't fall out on you. Put the whole thing down, and twist each rocker arm so its is upside down, lifters facing up. Keep bolts facing up.

Step seven: Take a light, or use the room light, and examine the bottom of each lifter. It should have a pattern resembling a figure 8, like this one.
If it is a solid shiny, or developing and S type pattern, it is a loud one, or soon will be. Pull out the garbage one and press an newer one into the hole with your fingers. Walk over to your engine and look for the spring retainers that match the broken lifters. They should also be solid shiny. This is a nice way to double check. They should have the same figure 8 pattern as the lifters.

Step eight: It may be nice to have an extra set of hands for this. Slowly lift your valvetrain back over to your engine and place it back into its slot. Put the rocker arms back into their normal position, so each lifter meets with a spring retainer. The rocker arms swivel on that shaft, so the extra hands can lift them all so they face the right way as you put the valvetrain back into its seat. finger tight the bolts in whichever order feels right.

Step nine: Repeat steps four through eight for each train, if you're lucky, you only have 2. v6 guys, obviously need to remove the rear VC to get at those valvetrains.

Step 10: In the online shop manual... There will be a section telling you the torque order for the trains.
Since I'm so nice..
B6 SOHC Torque Order
K8 DOHC Torque Order
B6 DOHC Torque Order

Don't start at 20 ft lbs, start at something like 5 and slowly work your way up to 20, following the order shown.
While doing this, rattle the rocker arms around a bit and make sure they're mating well to the spring retainers.
IMPORTANT!
On the intake side, the rocker arms need squeezed together in order not to fit incorrectly. The rocker arms fit inbetween the square things the whole valvetrain is mounted to. Look how it sits before you pull it off, to get an idea. Its nice to have some extra hands to help squeeze while finger tightening (I actually used a 12mm screwdriver, better grip)
The arrows are how you need to pinch it, and the circled part is how the rocker arms need to fit inbetween the mounts

Step 10: You did all the trains and replaced some lifters. You put everything back together, and it looks good. Like this, yes.

Put your VC(s) back on and torque them down to 6 ft lbs.

Hop in and start her up. Should be quiet. If anything freaky is happening, shut it off! You did something wrong you idiot! Now you need a new valvetrain!
Last edited by Ryan on November 6th, 2008, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Ryan

Re: Ryan's Guide to Healthy Lifters

Post by Ryan »

Done!

Please tell me if I messed anything up, like names of parts!

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Nice write up, should be stickied.

Now make a guide for the k-series :P
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

solo_ryder wrote:Nice write up, should be stickied.

Now make a guide for the k-series :P
yes please!
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I would, but I don't have that engine to play with :)

Is the K series not just two DOHC heads? Should be relatively the same thing...

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

Good information, the only valvetrain I've ever worked on was chevy and ford pushrod blocks. I've never worked on ohc's before so this is valuable information to me.
If anything freaky is happening, shut it off! You did something wrong you idiot! Now you need a new valvetrain!
lol
14.985@92.54 MPH

Red 93 MX-3 GS, KLZE, 5 speed, Act clutch, short throw shifter, HEI w/blaster 3 coil, PIAA ultra white headights, CAI, Apexi Dunk muffler w/2.5 inch cat back, Avital alarm, dark tint, Sony Xplode 52x4 head unit, Clarion speakers in the front, Pyramid 6x9's in the back, Volfenhag 2000 watt amp, 3x crappy MTX 10 inchers.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

when ur lifters start ticking its cuz they got dirty and clogged... so a suggestion find a engine fluch chemical that will be safe to ur gaskets and seals!!!!! and flush the engine real good. swap in ur new lifters and change the oil with a non sludgy type oil. when u start ur car up chances are it WILL tick loud for a few minutes until they get pumped up again!!!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

fieromx3 wrote:when ur lifters start ticking its cuz they got dirty and clogged... so a suggestion find a engine fluch chemical that will be safe to ur gaskets and seals!!!!! and flush the engine real good. swap in ur new lifters and change the oil with a non sludgy type oil. when u start ur car up chances are it WILL tick loud for a few minutes until they get pumped up again!!!

Like seafoam?
14.985@92.54 MPH

Red 93 MX-3 GS, KLZE, 5 speed, Act clutch, short throw shifter, HEI w/blaster 3 coil, PIAA ultra white headights, CAI, Apexi Dunk muffler w/2.5 inch cat back, Avital alarm, dark tint, Sony Xplode 52x4 head unit, Clarion speakers in the front, Pyramid 6x9's in the back, Volfenhag 2000 watt amp, 3x crappy MTX 10 inchers.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

i beleive sea foam is good make sure u read up on it before most ppl just use in the intake... so its not really getting at any gasket or seals.... as some engine flushes will deteriorate seals and gaskets and before u know it u will have a shitload ok leaks everywhere... if u use a good flush and do it right and use a non sludging oil (me and my friend love castrol GTX as it doesnt give sludge or anything) plus it has kept are lifters fairly healthy
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”