Oil in the spark plug wires. Not on the spark plug tip

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Oil in the spark plug wires. Not on the spark plug tip

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Today I was just taking out the spark plug wires on my MX3 (k8 engine). And as I was taking them out I noticed quiet a good amount of oil on them. I didnt take out the plugs themselves though. The car does not burn oil so I highly doubt its the piston rings.

So I am guessing this is a sign of bad valve cover gaskets. Correct?
Because I noticed just a bit of smoke (burning oil) coming from the header right by the radiator. It was coming from around the valve cover.

I know its obviously the valve cover gaskets but I just want to make sure.

I want to delay my KLZE swap until 8 months later. Before I start my Summer semister in college next year. So yes, I am still a bit concerned about this K8 engine. Reason why i want to wait that long is because. For one, I want to be 100% sure that my KLZE passes emissions. Emissions for me is every October. Atleast if I wait till than I will have a long time to fix whatever needs to be fixed.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
nightridergsr

Re: Oil in the spark plug wires. Not on the spark plug tip

Post by nightridergsr »

Yeah, sounds like valve covers. Had the same problem, replaced my front valve cover gasket, and it helped. I agree if there would be oil on tip of plugs, would be rings I think.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Damn they cost so much though. Ill just go to the junkyard and get some from there.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

No they dont.. I just bought some on ebay for like 15 dlrs plus ship. check ebay for probe gt gaskets.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Don't use used gaskets, your wasting your time. Remember to use silicone (automotive type) when you install the new gaskets and use a torque wrench on the bolts. 70in.lbs
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:Damn they cost so much though. Ill just go to the junkyard and get some from there.
Lol, that aint gonna work so well, dont be cheap and get new ones so the issue dont happen again
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Dunno how that can be considered expensive LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-62 ... enameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

if yours are not cracked or split just clean them up. You can clean them in gasoline then water right after. Dry them off, put them in the valve cover and then put rtv sealant all the way around. Let it set for 5 minutes then put it on the motor, tighten it down and let it sit for a day. That will cost $4 or so for the rtv sealant. If that doesn't work then get new gaskets.... not from the junkyard.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:Dunno how that can be considered expensive LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-62 ... enameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I meant that at AutoZone they cost a left nut and your man hood
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”