How do you check amp to see if blown?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
neli_nael

How do you check amp to see if blown?

Post by neli_nael »

I have an amp that was running some subs that I had. The subs were dual 4 ohms and I thought I wired them into single 2 ohm but they were actually wired into a single 8 ohm. The system stopped working and I couldn't figure out why, I have since sold the subs (thats how I found out they were 8 ohm-buyer was electrician and tested it). I was wondering if I messed up my amp and I don't know how to check it. None of the 4 fuses on the amp are blown. Google search only came back with physical appearances like the amp actually being burnt black. Is that the only way to test it?

edit: I forgot to add, the light on the amp comes on green.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: How do you check amp to see if blown?

Post by Ryan »

As far as I know, you should be fine. You were running an higher impedance than you thought, meaning your amp couldn't push as much power through it as it could at lower impedaces... if you had accidentally wired them together at 1 Ohm, then you would be screwed because it would be pushing close to infinite amperes ( which never happens, only in 0 Ohm appliations like superconducting), which would blow it.... all fuses are good, it should be good. Any decent amp will have protection from all kinds of abuses :)

Hook it up and plug something in....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Ryan wrote:As far as I know, you should be fine. You were running an higher impedance than you thought, meaning your amp couldn't push as much power through it as it could at lower impedaces... if you had accidentally wired them together at 1 Ohm, then you would be screwed because it would be pushing close to infinite amperes ( which never happens, only in 0 Ohm appliations like superconducting), which would blow it.... all fuses are good, it should be good. Any decent amp will have protection from all kinds of abuses :)

Hook it up and plug something in....
I had my subs hooked up to the amp and it they weren't producing any sound. The subs themselves work perfect. I'll check to see if it was something with my wiring kit. Last time I checked the big fuse before the battery was good, remote wire was good (amp turned on), replaced the rca's already still didn't get any sound. I have a Power Acoustik LT/1920, do you know if It can operate under 8 ohms? Could that be the reason the subs weren't working?
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

change the fuses in the amp with new ones, plug it into a friends car if you know someone with a running system...run it. quickest way to check, if it runs good...if not then you know something is wrong. if its burnt you might be able to smell it. start here and post back.
1993 White gs klze.
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

Every Kicker amp I have ever owned when it blows the amp will cycle on and off repeatedly. If your not getting any sound check the RCA's and the RCA input on the amp they are kinda fragile with kicker.
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

man, ive had this happen to me when i was just putting stereo in my current car, i hooked eberythign up and there was 0 sound, with all brand new stuff, i say diconnect it all and connect it back together, grab a volt meter and see if there is power coming in and coming out where its sepose to be, your amp will not blow because the sub is wierded up wrong, the sub itself will.i learned it the hard way.i ran 12 in ch kenwood excelon at 1ohm without knowing it, when the amp is not one ohm stable, amp just kept going into protection mode, and the sub pooched, i dont think theres anythign wrong with your amp
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Oh, I had an an issue like this. I had everything behind the deck pulled apart and suddenly it worked again. I have no idea what was wrong.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok just so where all on the same page. Electricity has 4 elements, electrons, neutrons, protons and homotrons. Just remember, it's the homotrons that blow fuses. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I agree, change the fuses and check again. Also check all your connections, including the remote wire, grounds, rca. Alsomake sure the power is still connected at the battery and that the fuse there is not loose either.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”