Those who want black slim visors

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Those who want black slim visors

Post by fowljesse »

They are marred worse than I thought, and I've tried everything to buff them out; 2000 grit, swirl remover, plastic polish, Carnuba wax, etc..
So, what do you think about me just getting some good plastic paint, and painting the outside? If I do, I can start selling these today, too. If not, I don't know how long it will take, unless you guys have suggestions. They are made from High density P. E. I don't know what this means.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Re: Those who want black slim visors

Post by wytbishop »

What exactly is the defect? Is there a scratch in the form? Is it just not smooth? Have you tried a courser grit compound to get rid of the defect and then 2000 to polish it back up?

Other than that it may be something we have to live with.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Since they screwed up my order, and hand routed them, there are marks from the router bottom, table, handling etc..
Here's some pics of the worst one, in the worst light, at the worst angle. If you look at it straight on, especially from about 3 feet back, you can't see the marks, but i don't want to send out inferior products.

They get cloudy with 2000 grit, and the plastic polish doesn't buff that out.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:oops: Some of those lines are the power lines reflecting. You can tell which, by the differences in the pictures.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I think painting them might solve it...

did you get a discount cause they screwed them up???
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Have you spoken with the manufacturer? What do they have to say about the quality of the finish?
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I didn't notice until I unpacked them :evil: :crying: I'm going to go down, maybe today.. I don't know how it will go, after dragging the boss out, and haggling with him 2 days ago, after haggling with his employees. It's been a PITA, but, that's bidniz.
They make really good plastic paint now that will never have problems.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

When I deal with manufacturers in my work I constantly have quality issues. You just have to be calm and stick to your guns. They agreed on a price for good quality work and didn't deliver. I'd worry that the scratches will show through the paint.

Maybe they have a machine that can buff them out.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Your thumb nail is really shiny...

(quality post of the week!)
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Jesse, what about this?

http://www.modernplastics.com/novus-hea ... -1119.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then they have a similar product to remove small scratches and for "final finishing". It's 8$ for an 8oz bottle, plus shipping. They recommend using microfiber cloth to apply it.

HDPE is great stuff, they make the stormwater pipes that I use in my engineering design work :)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

onlytrueromeo, your link has a high risk trojan so please edit your post and get rid of that link. Thanks
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Jesse, friends of mine work in a composite shop, everything from plastics to carbon cloth and kevlar. If you can wait till Tuesday I can discuss the problem with them and maybe get an answer for you. There's no panic here is there?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You get a trojan with that link? WHat? I just checked, im running firefox and I don't have any issues. Here is the link to the mainpage.

http://www.modernplastics.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The trojan is Trojan-downloader.JSAgent.ciw Could be someone else has hacket into their site.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

SuperK wrote:Your thumb nail is really shiny...

(quality post of the week!)
Pwahaha! Sometimes, when Sarah is at work, I find her nail polish sitting in front of the computer...
It's so shiny... I just do my thumbnail... really... but NO Pink!

Seriously!

Ok...
I'm strange.
Romeo, I'm scared to open that link. I have REALLY bad luck with computers. I have a friend that ran Linux on a Mac for 5 years with no problems, and when I checked my Email, it crashed! What is the stuff in the link? I've tried Maguire's plastic polish.
Daninski, I'm going to talk with them tomorrow, but I would definitely appreciate your help! In fact, I could send you a set for free, if you'd experiment with it (assuming the manufacturer doesn't make it right).

Return to “Appearance”