Transmission Problems......quick please

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
stevensmithmiami

Transmission Problems......quick please

Post by stevensmithmiami »

Ok, so the car is a 1995 mx3 4cyl. When the car was in drive or reverse you had to rev the engine to about 4-5000 rpm to get the car to move. It would get to about 15 mph and stay in first gear. I bought a used tranny and replaced it. Once I did that the car doesnt move. Now around 5000 rpms it will barely try to pull and nothing in reverse. The next thing I did was pull the tranny and install another torque converter.....same thing..... I have no idea whats going on. I know little about auto trans so please answer to where i will understand. Also what do the sensors on the tranny do? The one on the shift lever and the one that sticks into the hole on the right from the top with the two wire plug? Pleas respond quikly...
jrors
Supporting Member

Re: Transmission Problems......quick please

Post by jrors »

I had the same problems before my tranny gave out. But, I replaced mine with a used tranny.... and it's been working great, for almost a year and a half now. I'm thinking that the tranny you have, even though you replaced the converter, is bad. I know you had questions about the button on the side of the shifter.... when that button is pressed...it holds the gear into place. That little button, I assume you are also talking about is on the side of the shift console right? I'm uncertain what that is for.

If you can, I suggest you take it to a shop to see if it's all hooked up correctly.

By the way, is your hold light on your gauge cluster flashing on and off? And did you fill up the tranny with the correct amount of tranny fluid?
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes and that nasty torque converter uses fluid too
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
stevensmithmiami

Post by stevensmithmiami »

I meant the shifter lever that is actually on the transmission.....the round shaft that the shifter cable connects to.. i was wondering what that sensor connected to that does
therecapitulation

Post by therecapitulation »

I am experiencing the same problem. But, I don't know if my tranny is busted. My transmission lines have pretty much rotted. Or so I'm told. But I was having the same symptoms.

My big problem lies with the fact that tranny lines are discontinued.
Would you guys know by any chance, how I could get my hands on some? Are after-market ones available?
BradKY

Post by BradKY »

I'm having the same issue, ACCEPT my hold light has been flashing ever since Ive had the car and even before that it was flashing for 3 months. I am not having any issues in going into gears nor am I having any issues in driving, however the hold light flashes when you get up to speed in drive, it does not flash in reverse nor any other time.

Return to “Transmissions”