Tming Belt tensioner (to change or not to change)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Tming Belt tensioner (to change or not to change)

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Doing the KLZE swap. I am going to change the usual. Do a tune up. Even the timing belt and the belts.

But I have a question.
Does the Timing Belt Tensioner really have to be replaced?
Some people have told me I should... but really, how many times do you hear of a timing belt tensioner messing up?
If anything, you hear of the belt itself failing but not the tensioner?
http://www.autozone.com/N,15101204/shop ... ultSet.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are $80-$300 bucks.
Worth it?
Also, would a timing belt tensioner for a MX-3 work on a KLZE engine? Its a stupid question but if you search for a timing belt tensioner for a 1993 Ford Probe 2.5L all you get is this. http://www.autozone.com/N,15101204/shop ... ultSet.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It dont give you as much options as it would for the MX-3
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Re: Tming Belt tensioner (to change or not to change)

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

95ECRPGT

just do it, you will regret it in the end if you dont.
Ill do it if I have to. But if its something I dont have to change than why do it?

Seriously, how many people around here or Mx-3.com have broken a Timing Belt Tensioner?

While Im changing the belt, why not just change everything around the engine? Let me just go ahead and spend a bunch of $$$ on changing every pulley, oil pan and every other little thing?

Can someone give me a good reason to why i should change the Timing Belt Tensioner?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Look for a timing belt kit. It will include 1 idler and tensioner. I bought a kit a few years ago for under $250. Do not remember the parts vendor though, do a search on Google.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

The timing belt tensioner everyone speaks of...
is it this part?

or is the one on the top left?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

The top pic is the tesioner the bottom pics are the pulleys. The tensioner mates with pulley 85292
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

FlyVFR wrote:The top pic is the tesioner the bottom pics are the pulleys. The tensioner mates with pulley 85292
Ok, so if I understand

Timing belt
two belts
tensioner
tensioner pulley
2 idler pulleys

Look on google or look around. Maybe I can score all these parts for under $255
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I did a quick search for kits. looks like the kits offered now include the tensioner pulley instead of the auto tensioner.

Don't forget to change the water pump also. :wink:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I didnt change mine as my car has around 60k miles.(enginewise)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:I didnt change mine as my car has around 60k miles.(enginewise)
My KLZE engine should only have less than 60k miles. Should I still change the pulleys and tensioner?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I'd change it....

once you take everything you need apart to do the job you'll see why people change parts that aren't necessarily needed. I did my waterpump at the same time just because I didn't want to do it again for a while.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I would change everything too if the rest of the engine was in top shape. :wink:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
comish71

Post by comish71 »

personally, i would change the tensioner. even if the motor has <60k, you don't know what the motor has been through before you got it. i would think on the consequenses of the tensioner going bad and all of the heartache of going back in to replace something that costs $150-160 and was staring me in the face once the timing belt was off.
i can talk from personal experience in this situation. i chinced on not changing my tensioner. set the timing perfectly. once i got to driving the car it jumped time after a while. so trust me, unless i bought the tensioner myself i definately would change it myself. just my .02
just change it man.
1993 MX-3, KLZE, HOTSHOT HEADERS, CUSTOM EXHAUST WITH WALKER QUIETFLOW, K&N INTAKE, DIGITAL 6, QUAIFE LSD, FIDANZA FLYWHEEL, CLUTCHMASTER STAGE 3, GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS
14.32 @ 95.4mph
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

REASON why I didnt change it tho.. my engine is good but not that good, I got 185 comrpession which is still within serv levels. BUT as soon as engine craps out.. i want a straight neck klze engine.

Thats why i didnt bother.

Like when I changed the timing belt in my k8.. payed like 300 dllrs.. and a few months later i swapped engine :/
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”