I need help quick voltage across distributor clips?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mzdamx3rsdohc

I need help quick voltage across distributor clips?

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

ok so i have replace my engine harness from the ecu,relay beside the ecu to the fuel inj fuse. im now getting fuel when i crank the car over but no spark. on the top clip for the distributor im pretty sure just one wire should have constant 12 volts while the cars in the on position? or should a few wires have power? the side 3 wire post how many if any should have volts also? which wire is supposed too on both clips so i can try to narrow this down? thnx in advance its a 94 DOHC b6
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: I need help quick voltage across distributor clips?

Post by shameem »

If it is a stock 94 harness -
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /Z-032.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not - what harness did you put in?
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

i put in a dohc harness from another mt car a new fuel pump relay which i can now hear when i turn the key. theres 1 wire with 12 volts on the top post and the black and green wire on the 3 wire post has 8.5-10 volts the other three read zero. could both of my distributors that were good 2 weeks ago be burnt out? i think the problem lies deeper. ive had problems with the 3 wire distributor clip before and have switched back to my old one seeing my new one broke on removal. the wiring harness must be correct tho because im now getting fuel(smell it) and when i turn the key to the on position the fuel inj fuse is no longer blowing anymore even when i crank it over im going to switch my distributors a 3rd time to the one im 99.9% sure is good as i purchased it 2 weeks ago
any input is greatly appreciated someone else must of had this issue.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

Okay i pulled the codes its a code 35? 3 long 5 short. it means prc solenoid no.2? what is this solenoid? wheres it located? could this cause it not to start?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

For the disty -the Blue wire in 3 pin connector and the White/Red wire in the 5 pin connector should be 12v with the ignition on. The Black/Light Green wire (and Black/Orange) is ground - so if you see some voltage there either you are measuring it wrong or something is seriously messed up.....

The PRC solenoid is located on the area above the alternator - along with a bunch of solenoids for EGR and VICS. Make sure you have plugged it in - it *might* cause a non start due to low fuel pressure - but you said you have no spark right?
Were the sparkplugs wet and/or did they smell like fuel when you took them out - if they did - let the engine sit with the sparkplugs off for a few hours to let all the extra fuel evaporate.

EDIT: Unplug the connectors and measure voltages again - that will tell you if the disty is wrong or the harness is bad...
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

thank you so much for the help im going to go recheck the voltages again. and the solenoid with the green clip which is right adjacent to the solenoid with the yellow/orangish clip is missing a vacumn line off the top of it, it just has a bare nipple. is this what you thinks throwing the code? ill recheck them but i never unplugged any of those connectors so im pretty sure their all connected. thanks agaiin ill post back with results
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

okay so my voltages across the top pin are from left to right ( .02, 13.3, .56, .56, .01, .03). on the 3 pin the it reads ( 0, 12.5, 0) is this correct? i think this 3 pin connector is wrong.
i am now getting a code 3 and 35 how do i remedy these issues? code 3 crankshaft sensor?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”