KF engine swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TommyTott

KF engine swap

Post by TommyTott »

I have a original 1,8L V6 engine in my car. But this engine is not so good and really need some fixing. The car also need some other parts.
So because of the high price of an Mx3 in Norway, and the high spare part prices, Im planing to get a car from Germany, and use it as a "partcar" for my car.

I found one that has all the parts i need, and bodykit, alarm, nice rims ++++.
The only problem is that it has a 2.0l V6 from a Xedos. I think its the european version that has 140hp. (KF-1 i think its called)

I have tried to get some information about this engine in an mx3, but I cant seem to find out if its the actual swap thats the problem, or if the engine itself is the problem or if its only the KF-ZE and not the KF-1.
This engine is already in an mx3, so the swap and parts I need for the swap should not be any problem.

What would you guys recommend me to do? Are there much problems with this engine?
TommyTott
maryus

Re: KF engine swap

Post by maryus »

not good the KF , just had it on my car , i threw it away for a KLZE ...

well the engine was working with k8 injectors and k8 intake , maybe thats why i did not have power ...

i dont know why k8 apparently is better than KF ... strange ....
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
TommyTott

Post by TommyTott »

But was the problem that you dont had any power, or were there problems with the engine?

The car im looking at seems to have god power with the engine
Im just worried about having problems with it later.
In a year or two I probably will put in a KLDE og KLZE, but I need a motor in the car now.

Shall I go for the car with the KF, or are the chances of having problems with it, like it will stop working, to big?
TommyTott
TommyTott

Post by TommyTott »

Just to be clear, this is the KF-01 or KF-DE engine (140hp), NOT the KF-ZE.

So I need to know if there are any problems with the KF-DE engine.
TommyTott
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

the KF period seems to be a engine with a demon. Everyone I know of, including myself, Have had this motor die catastrophicly in its early life.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Somebody in the Netherlands drives a KF as well. Without succes, can't get the engine to run properly.

I would suggest looking for another donor.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
TommyTott

Post by TommyTott »

Ok.. The seller seems ok, and says that he did the swap in 2006, and have had no problems with it.

But I guess you guys are right. If you see any

1,8L V6 or
Mx3 with KLDE
The new interior
Low km/mileage

for sale in Germany or other countries not so far from Norway, then give me a PM.

Hope to get my car working by the end of the summer, but that means i need to find a donor car.
TommyTott
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Same here, i can PERSONALLY SAY the kf engine is bleh.. not good.. its just like a fresh k8. No speed gain at all. Its good if you want your car to feel a bit like new again. Im sure in germany you can find a probe gt, mx6, 626. You dont HAVE to get a klze..

also dont forget you need the kfze ecu for it to run right. I ran mine with k8 ecu and it didnt run as good as with the kf ecu.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
TommyTott

Post by TommyTott »

Ok. now i get confused again.
Im not getting the KFDE engine to get a better motor. I just want to get the car working again, and the donorcar ive found happens to have the KFDE engine.
The only thing Im worried about is if the KFDE engine will break down on me. Im not using it to get the power of it.

So is the KFDE engine bad if its not the power I want?

The reason I dont just buy a Mx6, 626 or Probe with the KLDE engine, is because I need other parts for my Mx3, like exhaust, front fender, windowlifter switches, headlights, som interior parts ect. Theres a lot of small things I need to fix to get the car perfect again. Thats why it will be cheaper for me to get a car that have all of these parts, so I dont have to buy all seperate. That will be expencive.
TommyTott
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

it should run fine if you use the right ecu tho and dont run it hard. My kf had a bad ticking sound and the engine only had like 20k miles.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
maryus

Post by maryus »

check the IM and the valve covers for leaks , tell the guy to send you pictures , mine was leaking a lot of oil, check if the HLA's are ticking a lot (that is not good) , check inside the valve heads and make sure the walls are clean.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The KF i had NEVER let me down! i used it for 7 months , plus the engine was in the car for another 5 years i think.
The only thing it was the oil consumption resulting in a bad smell to the exhaust , then the HLA's were ticking like hell ... I rev this engine a lot , was still working ... me i just wanted something more powerful ....

I found it hard to tune-up .....
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

here you go ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5pXaL15ees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”