Choosing an Exhaust...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
onlytrueromeo

Choosing an Exhaust...

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Well I just ordered ebay knock off headers (since a few people recommended them) and now I need to pick out a resonator and muffler. I think I'm going to hollow out my CAT and run a pipe through it, since I don't want to chuck the extra money at it right now. I will be going with a ZE soon.

I've spent all day looking through the forums and listening to the "few" clips I could find on youtube of different Mx3 Exhausts.

Do any of you have sound clips of your exhausts, and descriptions of them, and what you are running?

I figure if enough people post, this would also be a nice thread for people to read about the different sounds.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Choosing an Exhaust...

Post by Daninski »

Magnaflow 2.5 inch high flow cats are only $65.00 on ebay. I have a reactive muffler, sounds nice. A little loud for me tho. I kinda like to be discreet especially when the cops drive by. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Yeah i think its between magnaflow and flowmaster
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

headers, 2.5" pipes, 18" straight thru resonator, megan N1 muffler:

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/ ... I_0185.flv
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I think your muffler sounds nice, but from the pics it seems like it hangs a little low. You ever have any problems?
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

Sounds great, I like the setup but I think I'll end mine with a dump style muffler.
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Flowmaster all the way, But Magnaflow is still a very nice choice. Deep sound and performance.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

It hangs abit low as I have it angled up and sideways like some kinda ricer, but I like it haha. I have never had a issue with it and my car is lower then most ppl on the board
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I took the Reactive muffler off my car (too loud) and installed a Magnaflow I had kicking around. It's fairly quiet when your just tooling around and on the Hwy but as soon as you put the gas down it belches out a nice authoritative bark. Great for keeping those Riced out Neons in line.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Here's an autocross video of my car, you've got plenty of sound samples for my exhaust (There's an interior one at the end).

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 7672620004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm running OBX modified (to fit) headers, 2.5" crush-bent exhaust, magnaflow high-flow cat and muffler w/ skewed 4" tip. I've gotten many compliments on the sound on how quiet it is, despite that I have NO resonators. Apparently it's a unique sound where people can identify me by my sound. There's little to no drone inside the cabin. I've got a little now, but I think it's cause I have a small exhaust leak, but it's not a bother at all, don't really notice it.

I will say about the loudness and the in-cabin "drone" is that i theorize it's because of the dual-tip mufflers. Most don't like the large single tip since it looks "ricey", so most go for the dual-tip since that's more of a stock look. A few people have put stuff like tennis balls in the one tip of a dual-tip muffler and it quiets it down significantly. On a side note, that exact same setup with a test-pipe instead of a catalitic converter is LOUD, and my loud i mean you can hear my a dozen blocks away loud.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

Sounds farty at high rpm's :lol:
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

An exhaust shop said eliminating the resonator could cause increased droning sound at hwy speeds.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Man, that auto-xing looks awesome! I can't wait til my car is complete!
blaudust7

Post by blaudust7 »

I have 2.5 inch 2 chamber flowmasters on mine with no Cat Converter and it sounds damn good.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I wish I could take a video.. If someone could tell me how to get it off my phone, and onto YouTube, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!
Mine is 2.25" mandrel bent, with a long resinator, regular cat, and Magneflow. It's the best sound I've heard, but I'd trade it for a FlowMaster, for performance.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”