which engine should i swap for??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
boosted_bullet

which engine should i swap for??

Post by boosted_bullet »

just bought a mx-3 (1.6 auto) and looking to swap it.
i wanted to hear some of u guys opinions about which to swap it for first.
im looking for something with power but nothing TO expensive and also something with 5spd transmission my 1.6 has to go!

any information would be apprciated =]
boosted_bullet

Re: which engine should i swap for??

Post by boosted_bullet »

also something that might fit a turbo kit on it down the road.....

thx again
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

only because its been said to me..."search around!"

j/k man im not a d--- :) it seems alot of guys with 4 bangers swap out for a BP (1.8L) or rebuild the 1.6 to handle boost and slap on a turbo, but if you want real power,,klze is the only way to go
ImageImageImageImage
npspears

Post by npspears »

Well, if you have the SOHC (92 or 93) 1.6L the BP (1.8L) is pretty much a direct swap (that's what I've heard at least). You can use the same wire harness. But definitely search the site and look in the FAQ, you'll learn everything you need to know there. And if you have the 94+ 4 cyl the BP swap is still probably the easiest swap to do. And the manual tranny from the 1.6L should bolt up to the BP 1.8L. Hope that helps.

Again, FAQ and search button :)
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

its a 92 . will the "bp" swap need any other pieces that dont normally come with the engine (fe:fuel pump,exaust pipeing,exc)
and can a klze fit a turbo under the hood? i know it i seen a kit for it on probe addiction but then again its not a probe... which ever route i take i wanna be able to boost =] also will a probe (2.5) 5spd bolt up to a kl?

thx again
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Hey man

Swap to an manual tranny when you do your swap. The auto trannies in our MX's are shyte.

If you have a < '93 SOHC you need nothing but a new clutch, and probably the tranny and diff mounted to the BP (good idea, not neccessary). With a > '94 you'll need the harness, unless you want to do some splicing. For both you'll want the ECU as well. Theres some other stuff, all the info is on here, I just can't recall everything... I'm not that talented.

As for the V6's, I'm quite sure that the Probe is literally a MX6 (which was called the 626 before they changed the name, like how an 323 is a Protege which is a Mazda3) which did share engines with the MX3, meaning they're pretty well sibling vehicles and all engines are interchangeable between them. Although the Mx6 came with a 4cyl and you don't want that :)

KLDE - Milennia engine?
K8 - Stock Mx3 V6 and Mx6? 626 as well?
KLZE - the one you want, from japan
KFZE - No idea what this is from but I've heard of it.

To swap your v6 into an Rs (4cyl) is apparently a bit of work and moola.

Yes, KLZE can handle a turbo, lots of fellas on here have KLZE-T's. Kicks arse, something like 300WHP... and in a 2300lb car... They be sailing :)

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong... please :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

klde- milennia( not the millenia s), probe gt, mx6, 626
k8-mx3 v6
kfze- i know this is a 2.0l probably harder to source parts than a ze even tho
klze- is the japanese version of the de higher comp pistons, different cams,etc.
1.8bp- direct swap if u keep the mx3 tranny?(but yours is auto)
if u were feeling original maybe the 2.0 4cyl out of the probe, zetec, etc.
if you want to boost without building id go klde,de/ze hybrid, bp or bpt
from being the previous owner of a probe gt a klde would move this car good enough and when you get bored of the power it has a little more forgiveness with the tuning from what i understand due to the lower compression pistons.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

well budget wise im down to a turbo bp, or a stock kl-ze ,
or possibly a slightly modded kl-de from a scrap yard of coarse ill prolly source out a "scrap yard" tranny also.
which of the choices ( to u guys) what would be the best "bang-for-the-buck" choice hear? and of corse the most simple to install (im not a technican or nothing just a "diyer"
with a little wrenching experence and obviously bad at making (my own) choices lol)

thx everyone again!
npspears

Post by npspears »

that's a hard one, but probably since you have a 4 cylinder the turbo BP is probably the best bang for the buck. Esp if you have the SOHC (93 or earlier). It is hard to find the turbo BP's. Might just have to get a BP and install the turbo later (aftermarket). That's what I think at least.
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

bp it is then! =] now would anyone be able to tell me where i could find a kit for it? or if i need to make my own, which one would need the least fab?

thx
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:As for the V6's, I'm quite sure that the Probe is literally a MX6 (which was called the 626 before they changed the name, like how an 323 is a Protege which is a Mazda3) which did share engines with the MX3, meaning they're pretty well sibling vehicles and all engines are interchangeable between them.
The Mx-6 and 626 are 2 different cars that were in production, the one is a 2 door sports sedan, the other is a 4 door family sedan. They are both on the same platform. The protege is to the 626 as the 323 is to the Mx-6. With the Mx-6/626/Probe, the only thing you can really use is the drivetrain

BP(T) is your best bet. You can swap in a V6, it's basically bolt it, but there's a whole wack of stuff you need to change over to convert your car to a V6 engine bay.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

custom turbo setup nah j/k that be nice just do a decent turbo setup.. browse around the work logs for other BP turbo setups
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”