92 mazda MX3 wont start!! Electrical prob!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gmbyjeff

92 mazda MX3 wont start!! Electrical prob!!

Post by gmbyjeff »

So I posted earlier about distributor problems. That got solved and it ran great untill yesterday....

1992 MX3
1.6 4cyl SOHC
Manual Transmission

I was backing into a spot, and it died. Thought maybe it stalled cuz I was being stupid or something.... tried to re-start... DIDNT WORK. Tried a couple more times, figured I would compression start it. THAT didnt work. So after 250 dollar tow, it's at home now where I can mess with it more. So the battery is new, holds a 12v charge, 10v when you try and start it. So the battery is good. Took my plug out of the number 1 cylinder, plugged it into the wire and tried to start it so I could see if it was sparking or not. NO spark....

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, ignition coil are all new. So its between the coil and the battery(obviously). Any suggestions??
:welder: :twisted:
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: 92 mazda MX3 wont start!! Electrical prob!!

Post by umcamara »

Uhhh... sparkplug wires don't have a ground. So, if you remove the sparkplug and connect the wire, it's not gonna spark, cuz there's no ground. If you want to test for spark, just leave the spark plug where it is. Usually you can just unplug a wire, and hold it near the block, or valve cover, or any ground point and it will spark when you crank the engine.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya take the plug out and connect the plug wire to it and point it at a bolt on the chassis sumwhere and crank her over and see if you get a spark. if the engine cranks fine and ur batt is good u need fuel, air, spark, and compression. take ur time and check all ground cables and sensors. check ur vaf sensor, the car wont start if that doesnt work
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
dighayzose

Post by dighayzose »

My 92 mx3 recently had a similar problem. It would turn over but not kick on. Starter tested fine but the ignition coil was bad. Once replaced, problem solved.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”