The Famous KLZE Swap...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SmoothMX3

The Famous KLZE Swap...

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Of course, You see "KLZE Swap" in almost every thread now-uh days...
I recently was all dead set on doing the Millenia KLDE swap, Until I talked to a friend on yahoo IM. This friend started talking to me about the "KLZE Swap" and he was just telling me how powerful it felt and how it made him feel personally. That being said... I'm not here to make another thread saying, I got a klze swap or im about to do the swap. I'm here to ask you to tell me what I'm going to expect. Kinda like the pregnancy book alot of moms get... "What to expect, when expecting" . haha

There are many things I would like know about it, and just any personal story's you guys have from after doing the swap. Thanks in advance!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
solo_ryder

Re: The Famous KLZE Swap...

Post by solo_ryder »

Well, compared to the K8 it is night and day. There is alot more torque and the motor feels alot stronger, it does put you back in your seat :)

Currently, I have a millenia DE in my car with good supporting mods and that motor feels as fast as my old KLZE that I had in my last car. When I got my new car and it had the 1.8L in it I wanted it out as fast as I could haha. The k8 is a nice revvy motor but lacks in power. Once you get the ZE in there it is a way different thing, the car will never be the same again it becomes a new beast.

Thats not to say that the car is gonna be the fastest on the road at all, but for what you pay for it is well worth it. You can look down the road at all the cars infront of you and say "I could take ever single one of those cars easy", unless its a vette or something crazy like that :)

Anyways, the point is that once you get a DE or a ZE it changes the car alot and makes it WAY more fun to drive, the acceleration in 1st and 2nd is great! If you have tires that are getting abit worn then your best off to start in 2nd as 1st will just peel out before you even hit 4K rpm.

Good luck and go with a ZE, cause once you have a DE your gonna wish you got the ZE just cause there is more power.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Emmm Yummmy! ... I love reading stuff like that. If it was a sexual thing, That would be called arrousing. (did i spell that right?)
Ok... I don't know if you know anything about honda's, But can I look at the klze swap in a mx-3, the same as an H22 swap in a civic?

Please guys, Keep em coming... acouple more like that and I'm gonna reach my peek... uh... KLZE... acknoledgment (sorry people, bare with me.. I'm trying this new saying big word thing to make me feel smarter)
hehe
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

don't know much about honda's but the klze swap is direct fit if you already have a k8... pretty simple swap as swaps go since you basically pull one out put one in 8)

just go get a klze already and quit beating around the bush :roll: :lol:
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

haha ... Dude, It's about to for real be going on. I can't get this crap off my mind, really. It's the first time I can do a swap for pretty cheap. I found a place that is 4 hours away that has a klze for $795.00 ...
I'm trying to find a place closer to me, cause I just don't want to drive that far, and I don't want to pay shipping. If I can't find anything closer, then I'll probally just get them to ship it. wish me luck though, because hopefully in the next couple weeks, ill have a klze!!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

For me, the ZE is half the story. The other half is suspension. My car has an almost complete upgrade... Every bushing is Energy Suspension, and it has H&R springs, strut bars, etc.. It handles as much better than stock as the ZE does better than K8.
My engine was built for torque, and I have to be really careful not to spin the drive wheel. In the rain it's almost not possible. Also, with suspension upgrade, and solid motor mounts, you put more power on the road.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Hmm... Suspension is cool and I tottally agree with you about them solid mounts. In my ZX2, every time I went to 2nd gear I would chirp the tires... Once I threw them solid mounts on it, my car kinda bogged in a way. It wasnt cause there was something wrong with it. It just had all the power to the ground and there wasnt enough torque. It was wild... hell, not to mention that I had a spec stage 2 clutch grabbin the mess out of it as well. anyone else got any story's for me to read??
I was looking on youtube at klze video's... Ugh!! some of you people out there might have always had pretty much slow cars, so you are probally feeling the same way I do, when i or you hear stuff like this. way exciting.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

The millenia ZE (us spec ze or de whatever u wanna call it)

That swap is very often overlooked. It will be FAST. I have a worn down klze and its a curved neck from a eunos 800 or whatever. My friend got a fresh millenia de and he keeps up with me very well.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

But I really just don't understand that. 170 hp vs. 200 ??? what is the torque on the 2 motors, im thinkin they are close, so that just doesn't seem right. got me?
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

i am also looking to do a KL-ZE swap. from all the hype they get and from what i hear i dont think i would be dissapointed lol.how much much money would i be looking at to spend to do a swap?
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Well... I've found one for $795.00 ....
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

From what I gathered, it seems that it is easier to turbocharge a KL-DE as opposed to a KL-ZE, although I may be horribly wrong. As for comparing it to a H22 swap, you should not be getting the horrible understeer that comes with the swap.

fowljesse: What Energy Suspension bushings did you use?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Here's a link to a tutorial: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately, they aren't made for the MX-3, so there's a little customisation to be done. It's TOTALLY worth it! I've never been able to get the rear tires loose, they just keep steering. It feels like the wheelbase gets increasingly shorter with the increasing G-force.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

fowljesse wrote:Here's a link to a tutorial: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately, they aren't made for the MX-3, so there's a little customisation to be done. It's TOTALLY worth it! I've never been able to get the rear tires loose, they just keep steering. It feels like the wheelbase gets increasingly shorter with the increasing G-force.
I assume that you get the ZX2 bushings for the front and crossmembers as well?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes 8)
Everything that isn't metal is new, and some things that are.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”