Leak around the Knock Sensor. What is it and how to fix?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
*Y*

Leak around the Knock Sensor. What is it and how to fix?

Post by *Y* »

Hey guys,

I have a problem with a leak around my knock sensor. What can it be? Is it worth fixing it? And finally how to do it?
hgallegos915

Re: Leak around the Knock Sensor. What is it and how to fix?

Post by hgallegos915 »

leak? what kind of leak? water? oil?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

it seems to be oily....
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well the sensor itself,, i had one fall apart and the top of it its made of some sort of plastic oil thig, could be that the plastic is just gone.. take it out and post pics.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Well that the whole point :P I kinda don't want to take it out since its hard to get to and I would have to drain the coolant and all that ....
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ooh lol yeah the knock sensor well that can be a pain lol
-hec

*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Haha any tips or tecniques?
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

if your not throwing a code, don't bother! haha its a pain.

So whats leaking? your valve covers are leaking oil in the valley or? if thats the case buy a valve cover gasket set and do your valve covers.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its easy to change the knock sensor, just a bit of time consuming. I think its worth it because you get to clean all that crap in the middle, i had leaves , dust, oil residue , the works.
-hec

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You need to remove the intake manifold to access the sensor right? Retorque manifold after to 225 in lbs
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Daninski wrote:You need to remove the intake manifold to access the sensor right? Retorque manifold after to 225 in lbs
OUCH! no not that much haha, around 20lbs is enough.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

that's more torque than at my wheels :lol:
the 225 that is :roll:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I've never heard of a leak around the knock sensor, its located between the heads where its totally solid aluminum. So you might want to take a closer look. There are a lot of places oil could be coming from, unfortunately a lot of it ends ups in the gully between the heads.

Daninski said Inch pounds, 225 in lbs is about 19 ft lbs.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Zoso124 wrote:Daninski said Inch pounds, 225 in lbs is about 19 ft lbs.
so hes speaking a different language is what your saying haha SPEAK ENGLISH haha.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

ahhh 225 in. lbs/ inch-lbs. not 225 in pounds of force! :oops:

Also can't see how knock sensor could actually leak, being as all it does is pick up the knock sound frequencies as Zoso said in solid alu. Valve covers love to leak, generally my first port of call for oil leak.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”