Help!!! Removing pulleys.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nate2k5

Help!!! Removing pulleys.

Post by nate2k5 »

i am having a hell of a time getting the waterpump pulley off my b6 dohc. any tips, the belt broke so there is no tension on it and i can't get any leverage. thanks
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Help!!! Removing pulleys.

Post by Kirk95gs »

Get a pulley puller.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

u having problems getting the 10mm bolts off? i just had my bro hold it best he could and just hit the socket wrench while its on the bolt and it came loose. if so id get a new belt and put the tension on it and remove it. best of luck
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

Bumpysbro wrote:u having problems getting the 10mm bolts off? i just had my bro hold it best he could and just hit the socket wrench while its on the bolt and it came loose. if so id get a new belt and put the tension on it and remove it. best of luck
this is correct, the belt broke so there is no resistance, i tried holding it witha pry bar but no dice.

also does anyone know if you have to take the crank pully off to change the timing belt?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ive never tried it, hmmm im pretty sure you do because the tensioner and idler pulleys bolt through the water pump and that pulley is pretty wide. take off the timing belt covers and look. it might be really tight but u might be able to squirm around it. ill check real quick and see
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well i just looked on mine. you cant fit a socket in there but you can get a 14mm wrench in there but you wont be able to torque it down and im not even sure if you can slip the timing belt out between the pulley and the tensioner pulley. id find a way to get those bolts off
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

anyone else got any tips?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

are u going to just replace ur belt that broke or are u replacing the water pump.. too
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
bp_turbo94

Post by bp_turbo94 »

im not sure but on my neon , i had to take the tire off and there was a peice of plastic that was hideing the bolt, to get the pully off use a hymanic something , u can rent them at autozone for like 70 bucks but when u return it they give u all ur money back, hope that helps ya
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:are u going to just replace ur belt that broke or are u replacing the water pump.. too
yes i plan on replacing the water pump, timing belt, and both tensioners. i am just wondering if there were any tactics ppl have used to get those three 10mm bolts off the pulley and if i have to remove the crank pulley to replace the timing belt.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

nate2k5 wrote:
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:are u going to just replace ur belt that broke or are u replacing the water pump.. too
yes i plan on replacing the water pump, timing belt, and both tensioners. i am just wondering if there were any tactics ppl have used to get those three 10mm bolts off the pulley and if i have to remove the crank pulley to replace the timing belt.
yes u do have to remove the crank pulley only 4 10mm bolt that hold in place and i believe u need the remove the crank bolt 19mm i thing with a impack gun..

as for the water pump pulley i never had issues removing them. maybe someone put locktite on the treads maybe why ur having such a hard time removing or loosing them..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
nate2k5 wrote:
yes u do have to remove the crank pulley only 4 10mm bolt that hold in place and i believe u need the remove the crank bolt 19mm i thing with a impack gun..

as for the water pump pulley i never had issues removing them. maybe someone put locktite on the treads maybe why ur having such a hard time removing or loosing them..
ok so i have removed almost everything i need, including the dreaded intake mani bracket. the head is still solid so i am guessing the engine mount on the left side needs removed. it says nothing of it in the workshop manual but i am fairly sure there are two 12 or 14mm bolts running right into the head and perhaps some in the block. do i need to lower the engine with the two vertical engine mounts. if this is correct do i need to brace the engine or will it be ok with nothing underneath it?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”