Problems after KLZE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DaMN

Problems after KLZE swap

Post by DaMN »

Hello, I'm owner of '94 MX-3 KLZE, I used to have K8ZE on my car.
I made the swap a month ago. I'm having some problems with it, hope you guys will be able to help me.

Well, 1st, details:
It's KLZE with curved neck (from xedos 9) with the K8 MAF sensor and all the other sensors form the K8.
KL03 ecu (installed a week ago).
The original air-filter box and the original ram-air.
K&N inbox air filter.
Fully open exhaust system, original wide.
KLZE spark plugs, with K8 wires.

Problems:
1. Since the swap the fuel consumption is bad, very bad, it's 1 liter for 6km on economy driving.
2. When you look at the exhaust you can see a little black smoke and you can smell the unburned fuel.
3. When the car standing the RPM isn't steady, I need to aim the bolt on the throttle until it showing 1K RPM or else the car shuts off. I think it's 'cause my PRC solenoid is bad. when disconnecting it the RPM when the car stands kinda steady, (and I can put it on 900rpm) but it's much weaker, I can tell by how much I need to press on the puddle to get the same RPM.

Except for those things, the car is insane, alot of power and alot of fun.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: Problems after KLZE swap

Post by 2fazed »

Why do you have a KL03 ecu for a ZE? The KL03 is the california version of the KLDE engine. So you need to use the K8 or KL31 ecu with your vaf, or switch the vaf to the KL01.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

Hey, first, thanks for your answer.
I didn't know that the KL03 is for DE only, and I've searched on this site, alot. Can't the ZE work with this ECU? what's the negative effects of this ECU on the ZE engine?
I don't have VAF on the engine I've got the K8 MAF. I chacked in some table (can't find it right now, but it's here, it's how to find ZE and DE engine) I saw that KLZE curved neck can work with MAF on it.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

The curved neck ze uses a MAF and a ECU with a diffrent pinout then that of our cars. Sence your are using the je50 vaf, either run a kl31/36 ecu or the K8 ecu. If you want to run the kl03 (klde ecu) then you must get a klde vaf, KL02 or other. Give that a try and see what happens.
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

1. Using the DE ECU and KLDE VAF, will lower the engine proformance?
2. I don't want use the K8 ECU, the engine is alot weeker with it, you can feel it very well.
3. When you say to use KL02 is it some kind of VAF sensor or ECU?
4. What will be the best for me? KLDE ECU with VAF sensor or the KL31\36 ECU with the K8 MAF?

It's kinda hard to change things here. Around here we don't have alot of MX3 (When people sees my car they say: "Cool, Hyundai Coupe great car!" :confused2: ) so everything must be ordered from ebay.

Sorry I'm asking lots of questions, I just want to be sure what I'm doing.
Thank you guys alot for helping me, I knew I can count of you. :2thumbsup:
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

DaMN wrote:1. Using the DE ECU and KLDE VAF, will lower the engine proformance?
2. I don't want use the K8 ECU, the engine is alot weeker with it, you can feel it very well.
3. When you say to use KL02 is it some kind of VAF sensor or ECU?
4. What will be the best for me? KLDE ECU with VAF sensor or the KL31\36 ECU with the K8 MAF?

It's kinda hard to change things here. Around here we don't have alot of MX3 (When people sees my car they say: "Cool, Hyundai Coupe great car!" :confused2: ) so everything must be ordered from ebay.

Sorry I'm asking lots of questions, I just want to be sure what I'm doing.
Thank you guys alot for helping me, I knew I can count of you. :2thumbsup:
Solo_Ryder wrote:There are 2 basic options for the KLZE that will allow it to run the best.

1. KL31/KL36 ECU and the JE50 VAF
2. Chipped K8 ECU and the JE50 VAF

The chipped option will allow your VRIS to open at the right time if you are using a curveneck manifold. If you are going to go turbo, you can always run the stock k8 ecu and run megasquirt for a NA setup (which would yeild the most power gain) and then once you boost you can tune properly for that.
You can run the klde ecu with the klde vaf (kl02) ..There is other klde vaf's/ecus But I dont know all the part numbers.

The VRIS points will not be on so you will hurt a little on performance.
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

Sorry for not reply.
First of all Kirk, thank you.
But I must ask again, I've rade that my ZE can work with the MAF sensor of the K8, I have the only version of it that works with MAF instead of VAF, so why I need to change it? Can't find the table that shows the diffrents between the engines, but it's right there.

I'm looking for some time the KL31\36, I saw that thire price is very high (145$ or 200$) not like the KL03 that I bought in 50$.
'cause that reason I'm thinking about chipping my K8 ECU or the KL03, what will be better?
What chip I need to buy?

Just to update you guys, I found the reason why my fuel consumption is bad, my 2 O2 sensors are not working well.
I didn't fix it yet, I want to see if I'll change to the right ECU the sensors will work fine.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Chipping the k8/klde ecu will yeild you the same performance. If you chip the k8 ecu you will need to run the je50 (mx-3 stock vaf). If you are chipping the klde ecu then you MUST use the klde vaf (from either a probe/626/mx6). If you dont use the right vaf/ecu combo performance/ gas economy will hurt.

I have ran the k8ecu with the klde vaf and it sucks. no power, rough idle, bad gas milage. I have ran the klde ecu with the je50 and fround the same. I have also ran the kl36 ecu with the je50 and it worked great! other then the vris points not matching the millenia intake.

IMO the best setup (other then standalone) is the a proper chipped ecu/vaf combo.

Such as a chipped klde kl02 ecu/kl01 vaf.

Or the chipped k8 ecu with the je50 vaf.

Hope this helps.

Kris
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

X2 ^^

Your current ecu situation is no good. Run the kl31/kl36 ecu with je50 or get a chip.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok found out I plugged my O2 sensor monitor plug into the plug for my #2 fuel rail by mistake. Fixed that and engine runs good now.
Last edited by Daninski on July 30th, 2008, 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

sigh, yes! It even says that if you read the thread lol

seriously why is it hard for people to understand this lol

If your using a klde ecu you use the klde vaf

if your using a k8 ecu, kl31/36 use the je50 or chipped k8 use the je50 (mx3 vaf)

If you decide not to follow these simple guidelines your motor is going to run like crap, its been tried, tested, and thrown away
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Edit Delete
Last edited by Daninski on July 30th, 2008, 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ohh i didnt notice it was a de vaf with k8 ecu.. it wont run properly.

I would convert it to obd1.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
claude matte

Post by claude matte »

sorry to hi jack
but im in so what the same problem
i have swaped out a few cars now but never a obd2 car .
i have a 96 obd2 car that i have just swaped the motor to a klze. i have not started to plug every thing in yet but i have noticed some plugs are diffrent like the knock and the pully pick up is 2 wire not 3 wire also the extra o2s ..

so i guess my question is how do you convert it to obd 1? is it just changing the engine bay harness out for a obd1 one and pluging in a obd1 ecu or is there more to it ..
thanks and again sorry for the hi jack
have a kl31 ecu and i will be useing a je50 maf
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3mazda
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3346603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; new pics
claude matte

Post by claude matte »

bump
:?:
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3mazda
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3346603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; new pics

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”