Ryan - 1993 Black BP RS-RIP

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Ryan - 1993 Black BP RS-RIP

Post by Ryan »

R.I.P
So I decided to make a worklog, because it seems that in the past month, and ever since I got my car, it seems, its my new life. I'm obsessed :freak: Even the Gf gets pushed out of the way so I can spend time with my car :)

I'm relatively poor, so I like DIY. I'm also still in school, so my time is a little limited. Oh and I work for a Mazda shop, so I have access to a complete workshop. (car washes every week :D) a full hoist, any air powered tools, any thing, really, and an awesome mechanic who helped me SO much so far.
I'm working on speedo rings at school, because I have two hours daily to play with stuff like routers and mills... I tried really hard today but all I came up with was a peice of 2024 aluminum with a 8cm dia. hole in it. The program refused to run all four toolpaths. Tomorrow! Theres a thread on that, so I won't bother reposting.

So far, I haven't done much to my baby.

When I got her, she was not in prime shape. The body was dented all over. Dents like when you open your door onto something pointy, kinda like hail, but in weird spots. I've not yet decided what to do about that. The fender had a pretty serious bash in it. I took it off and tried to bend it back out with a rubber mallet and a 1x4 piece of lumber worked okay. Hood is rusty, and there is a mark on the passenger fender where some dork let the block heater cord whip around in the wind for probably a very long time. Its all worn though, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Semi-fixed fender

Rusty hood

Heater cord mark

One of a million dents. okay, maybe 20

Cleaned out fenders, that was pretty nasty in there. probably lost a whole 4lbs though :wink:

I installed some 6x9's I had lying around into the cargo tray. I like how it looks. I think I might install some LED's underneath so they glow through the red cone. Ricer? Maybe. But I think it would be cool 8)
I go biking with my brother, so I need to take the cargo tray out to fit in our two bikes, I needed an easy way to plug and unplug the speaks in the cargo tray, so I pulled apart a VCR and used the RCA connectors. They unplug nicely, and are rather discreet. I like them. (Just a thought... my car only cost 2x more than my bike... :mrgreen:) Put my itty bitty 8" Rockfords in a homemade box in the trunk. Paired with a 500WRMS Alpine amp, it makes me happy. I went to the junkyard and stole the trunk peice of carpet from an MX-3, so it matches perfect.

Cargo tray 6x9's

RCA connectors

Subs, and I WILL tie those wires back eventually. (also, I supported the tray but screwing some crown moulding underneath. They have a tendancy to break down the middle.)

When I first got her, she ran with greyish smoke, and really rough. She'd stall at stop lights with brakes, rear defog, and lights on. Brought it into my mechanic, and he ran a compression test, anywhere between 40 and 120. Running on two pistons! it was pretty rough.... So, before I found this site, and everything awesome on here, I made an uneducated decision and paid 300 bucks for a new SOHC. About 170 for a new clutch kit too. That all works prime, now. It runs nice, the clutch feels good, shifts smooth (minus not liking going into reverse sometimes, but I understand thats normal.)
So, I have no excuse to go BPT. Even then, my mechanic had a spare BP lying in a rusted out protege in his back yard... oh well. wait till my SOHC dies... maybe help it along... mouahaha... :twisted:
I broke a bolt holding the engine and tranny together.. another stupid noob mistake. (He said make them as tight as I could... but I didn't realize I had it counter threaded...) But its one on the bottom, and it holds together fine. I might be able to pull it out still if theres a a bit sticking out of the tranny.

I think thats it, really. I drove off of a seriously steep driveway in the city and it broke the bottom lip of the bumper.. not the GS lip, but the bottommost part of the RS bumper.. its not bad, cracked, not broken. I'll repair it from behind I think, or cover it with a GS lip :).

I picked up the wrap around spoiler from a junk yard for 20 bucks. Its red, but I've primed it already, I just need paint. I also got a hood for 30, with just a little bit of rust. I'll sand blast it and maybe patch it a bit. The hood is green (We almost couldn't fit the hood in the hatch, I was terrified I would have to drive home with a green hood... but we rolled down the pass. window, put one point out there, and the other point out the hatch, and tied it down. Cold trip home.) I'm still looking for a fender.

I think thats about it, for now. In the future, I want to do a bunch of little things like the cone intake, pick up one of the 60mm TB's, polish/sandblast the head/injector... Just make her look nice under the hood :) I want to do Civic projectors, and maybe smoked altezzas... clear side markers.... Rims are soon on my list too, and tires to replace my mismatch ones. (one stopped holding air, so I picked up one yokohoma from the scrap yard for $2. It holds air. Three tire brands :oops:) And when the B6 dies, maybe one of the highly praised fidanza (spelling?) flywheels and a better clutch kit... or just burn my rebuilt OEM one down to the rivits on my old flywheel, in the process of exploding my f series tranny, first ;P Then exhaust... Its so exciting, I wish I had lots more money :)

Well, I think THATS it, now....
Gosh I love her.....
And sorry for the super long post. I know some of you don't like reading so much :wink:
Last edited by Ryan on January 28th, 2011, 1:01 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Savin

Re: Ryan - 1993 Black RS

Post by Savin »

Storytime over already? :cry: Me likes stories... Anyway, it sounds like you're off to a fast start with your car (no pun intended with the slow engine). Since the hood fits in the back...I have no excuses to get me one! except money..And yes, you should aid in the early death of the B6 to make room for the BP, lol.

Good luck with the car, and I can't wait to see what you make of it!

EDIT: I just realized you have the same mysterious 5 lug hubcaps as me....It is truely perplexing...lol
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Here's another side project going... DIY strut bar :D

How does this look for a plate?

Okay, so I know what they're supposed to look like, but I love doing it 100% by my self.
Thanks for the kind words, its pretty easy to make my day :)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
bluechro

Post by bluechro »

I've got the same mysterious 5-lug hubcaps as well. Alright for Canadian Tire!
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

They came with the car :shrug:
But tomorrow I might have an in on some rims + tires for 200 bucks! I'm encredibly pumped. I hope they're in okay shape... dissappointment sucks.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

So a cool thing happened today....

I picked up my old valve cover, injectors and TB, and oil pan today from work... from my old blasted SOHC which will meet a scrap yard soon (donated!)
I'm gonna polish up my valve cover and injectors, toss the TB and put on the 60mm when I get my hands on it. The oil pan....meh, wipe it off an out. My current one is dented REALLY bad.

I went to my bro's to pick up the angle grinder, and I found this massive intake sitting on one of his shelves. It doesn't fit in any of his cars, so he gave it to me. Its 3"

maybe its not huge, but it sure seems large... not sure how I'm gonna fit my MAF into there somewhere. Any pointers?

Anyway, I'll post pics when I'm done polishing valve cover and injectors...
word of advice - don't polish with angle grinders. It is quick, but REALLY easy to mess up. I took a chunk out of the D in my MAZDA on the valve cover. You can't get into any of the corners anyway, so I might try to score a dremel from somewhere, a little less power and smaller attachments. Oh, and should I grind the MAZDA and the 16 VALVE right off of there? or leave it?
Last edited by Ryan on May 10th, 2008, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You have the potential to make alot of custom stuff. I'll be following this log...
If you make solid strut bars (hopefully aluminum), I'll buy F & R.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You see, I'm not sure where to get an aluminum bar, and my welder friend is not extremely experienced.... but please vote and share opinions...
Last edited by Ryan on January 28th, 2011, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

you could probably use the dry ice dent removal on some of your dents
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Probably, but I have no idea where to get dry ice and I want to finish all my other projects before I start another one. I have too many already.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I didn't vote, because I'm not sure about the poll. What are you going to put the secondary color on? It would be hard to say, anyway, because I don't know your personality. I say get as crazy with it as you feel. How about blood red?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't want to be flashy, just nice... I might just go black on black, with tiny chrome or white accents. Nice and simple. Re-paint my speakers and subs from red accents to silver/black... use HID LED's for mood lights, and guage colour.... paint the lettering on my VC and Injectors chrome, but the rest black... piping chrome.... I think thats what I'll do... but vote anyway....

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you're going for nice... I suggest black chrome. That, to me, says "elegant power".
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Black chrome eh.... sounds cool :) Can I pick up some decent stuff at something like Canadian Tire or Walmart or something like that? I found an autobody store in my nearest city, but its $24 CAD for a mixed can. Crazy, but PERFECT paint. But I bought the seccond best for $6 a can, black for spoiler.

Sprayed my spoiler a few coats, its the wraparound GS. Tomorrow do it again. I did what I hope to be the final coat today, friday the 16th... and plus maybe a gloss, later, we'll see how it turns out.
and my teacher effed my speedo rings... so I need to start again. sigh. No biggie, I just need to score some more aluminum.

Edit, addition
I hate double posting under myself.

Today, I picked up some of the RS rims, 14" I belive, pretty good condition, and some serious winter tires for $160CAD. I was expecting 200, 250, so I was pretty happy :) That should be my biggest expense for a while. Phew. Money is slow on the in, quick on the out. I'll post pics eventually. No camera, I just borrow sister or mom's cell phones, but they aren't home.

taken across the hood of the gf's green civic, and they are just propped in front. I need to do some rubber swapping.

I broke one of those little flip up panel things that make the stock speaker location flow to the back.... oh well, junk yard here I come(just broke the other one :evil:). Speaking of which, I saw another one fall to that demise. I watched it get ruthlessly tossed about by a front end loader. Saddened me. Girlfriend laughs, but I feel attachment to these cars.... it was a red RS. Nice spoiler on it, the slightly raised one, but I already have one, which I painted again today. time for maybe one more coat and then a gloss. I've decided it doesn't matter too much if it matches or not... spoiler and hood are okay to be slightly different, but something like a door or a panel looks rediculous.
I found an old Protege there (maybe BP, can't tell, run VIN code sometime soon, and if it is... its mine!), and an Miata... did they ever make a rotary miata? its REALLY old, though, this car... It has something that looks like a carb on it...
Yeah, I'ma go clean up my old injector for a bit... I'll paint it chrome black, if I can find some paint...
Last edited by Ryan on May 19th, 2008, 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Speedo Rings so far are a bust. Aluminum is out, because I lack the proper bits for cutting it. I wound up with a mangled ring approximately the right size and shape, and a flat end mill with aluminum welded onto it. I even did it in half milimeter steps... Plexi, maybe. Anyone a machinist out there? Engineer?

So today... I spent 4 hours on my car. I first took my intake all apart from the TB on. The aformentioned intake is about a half inch too big, and a little too short. I'm still debating how I'll make it work. First, I'm going to pick up all those rubbers from a scrap yard, so I can mess with it and still have a backup. It would be cool to put into the intake some sort of device that would make it whine or whistle at higher RPM's, but I haven't decided what or how, just an idea. And, I have the box shaped MAF, if its still called a MAF, because my car is a 93, not a 94. Can I use the round MAF that comes in 94+ models? Is the port/connector the same? Is there one that I can use with a slightly larger diameter? I think if I can round up some sort of hose that is roughly 3" in diameter, and bendy, I would LOVE it. I could run it down in behind the fender there where that drain box sits, under the coolant resevoir. The thing that perplexes me is the square opening on my MAF. Square into circle - a semi-stable, air tight solution. Hummm....

Also, I put in some (hopefully) sound deadener in my hatch space. I pulled it all out, minus the panels that are the sides of the back seat... washed it out because it was dirty, lay down that carpet underlay, sorta taped it in place, then put the panels back on. well, most of the panels are back on, it got dark and I couldn't see anymore so I quit. Some of the little clip things are #@%(&!@'s to get back in. I'm pretty mad about that. I'll put it to the GF test on monday. Finish putting it together tomorrow morning. Maybe do the flooring in the front, under the back seat.... wash the floor carpet while i'm at it, and the seats. Yeah... I think thats about it.
Oh, no, I drifted today. Took a gravel corner at about 30MPH and went out sideways all awesome like. Thats a lot of fun.

Today, Saturday, May 17th (actually its now the 18th, 16 minutes into the day...) I pulled EVERYTHING out of my interior. Back panels, front panels, everything except the rear seatback, and the dash. Carpet.... Alllllll out. I silliconed the visible screw holes, vaccumed and lay carpet underlay down and taped it in place with electrical tape because I had nothing better. I put fiberglass insulation in that spot behind the rear seat armrests, infront of the rear wheel well. It was just a giant air cavity, so I filled it. I washed my carpet and seats very very well with a steam carpet cleaner with a little handheld attachment, and that is almost dry, still waiting outside. Tomorrow morning I'll reassemble and drive into town, doing a sound check. I sure hope it makes at least SOME inprovement, otherwise it would be a major waste of a day.
I must say, once you pull everything out and fold down the back seat, its like a 10 man party in there. I can stand with my legs straight and my waist bent, and I could totally just fill it with pillows and nap in there all day (black car... warm day....) Didn't really discover anything super interesting... just that the plastic clips get old and crack, and that I need to pick up extras all the time... junk yard, just pocket them. Especially the ones on the door sills. The back panels are a little difficult to get back on, even with only some lame foam in the way, not sure how to make it easier, I already trimmed away from the holes and such.

By the way, I used laminate underlay, and I would say it makes an noticeable difference in road noise. I can't hear the rear wheels anymore, just the front ones. I should do the doors, I feel that is my weak spot.
Last edited by Ryan on January 28th, 2011, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”