power steering delete

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slinkymx3

power steering delete

Post by slinkymx3 »

has anyone done a power steering delete on a mx3? i got the engine out and was thinking about how i really dont care for power steering. so i was wondering if anyone has made a new idler pulley for where p/s pump used to be...here are some of my mock up pics (the idler is a t-belt idler)
93 mx-3, hybrid de/ze-turbo P&P'd ZE heads,9.2:1 CR,garrett t3 57trim .60/.63,HKS SSQV bov, turbo xs 38mmW/G,24in downpipe,sts,13lbfw,sleeper FMIC,65mm TB,Walbro 255lph FP,F&R strut bars, ngk plugs/wires
p/s,a/c,cruise,vris delete..all go from here
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: power steering delete

Post by fowljesse »

It's been done, but it's cool that you posted pics, and a description.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Is the belt going to stay on without any sidewalls on that pulley?
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

i tightened the belt and tried to slide it off the pulley and it barely moved if any. so i believe it should work..i dont know where to get a slotted pulley like that one.
93 mx-3, hybrid de/ze-turbo P&P'd ZE heads,9.2:1 CR,garrett t3 57trim .60/.63,HKS SSQV bov, turbo xs 38mmW/G,24in downpipe,sts,13lbfw,sleeper FMIC,65mm TB,Walbro 255lph FP,F&R strut bars, ngk plugs/wires
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

slinkymx3 wrote:i tightened the belt and tried to slide it off the pulley and it barely moved if any. so i believe it should work..i dont know where to get a slotted pulley like that one.
Once it starts spinning (upto 6500 RPM) all bets are off - there have been people whose belts have jumped the sidewall because of slight misalignments.

Here's a recent one -
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idler pulley from a mx6 might work -

or you can just leave the pump in there with the lines disconnected - you can even open up the pump and gut the interior.....

Also dont forget to loop the rack lines....
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

shameem wrote:Once it starts spinning (upto 6500 RPM) all bets are off - there have been people whose belts have jumped the sidewall because of slight misalignments.
x2 I wouldn't leave it like that... you are asking for trouble!
slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

shameem wrote:
slinkymx3 wrote:i tightened the belt and tried to slide it off the pulley and it barely moved if any. so i believe it should work..i dont know where to get a slotted pulley like that one.
Once it starts spinning (upto 6500 RPM) all bets are off - there have been people whose belts have jumped the sidewall because of slight misalignments.

Here's a recent one -
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idler pulley from a mx6 might work -

or you can just leave the pump in there with the lines disconnected - you can even open up the pump and gut the interior.....

Also dont forget to loop the rack lines....
umm how would that idler work there are no grooves for the belt either...
and loop the rack lines? im just going to put brass plugs in the rack
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

There are no grooves - but there is a sidewall.... Also i think you can replace the tensioner pulley with a grooved pulley - loop the belt around it and not have any extra pulleys at all.....

For the rack - I think you need to have fluid in there to keep it lubricated and prevent it from locking up. If you have fluid in there it has to "flow" (basic hydraulics) - hence loop the rack lines. Or you can switch to a manual rack from a 323 or something...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 5&p=442228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

Most Ford Aspires are manual steering as well, they are nice, 3 full turns lock to lock. I was thinking you could get an A/C delete pulley from another mazda car. Let me see if I can find a link...

http://www.acbypasspulleys.com/acbp172.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!

How many grooves does the original pulley have? I can count the ones on my aspire and let you know if they are the same.
slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

shameem wrote:There are no grooves - but there is a sidewall.... Also i think you can replace the tensioner pulley with a grooved pulley - loop the belt around it and not have any extra pulleys at all.....

For the rack - I think you need to have fluid in there to keep it lubricated and prevent it from locking up. If you have fluid in there it has to "flow" (basic hydraulics) - hence loop the rack lines. Or you can switch to a manual rack from a 323 or something...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 5&p=442228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ok so i'll do the rack loop..sounds easy cut the lines add a loop n clamp it in....
but finding a grooved tensioner pulley? autozone and try to match one up??
there are 4 grooves on the belt \|/

thanks guys for ur help....i heard people say in one of those threads that the gs has great steering...but im boosted? torque steer is bad the power steering valving pushes the p/s fluid toward the side that has least resistance (not helping torque steer) and i dont plan on any auto cross
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

That is the same amount of grooves as the aspire and later protege belts. I believe that GM AC delete pulleys for the Grand AM come with a smaller pulley, and the quality is pretty good.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

If you have a local NAPA store - try there for the pulleys - they keep a lot of stuff in stock....
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

it works...ive had this done for manyy year now...never slipped once.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

so it is ok to wrap the belt around the power steering tensioner pulley??? my motor is almost done and i going to measure and get a belt as soon as this info is confirmed.....thanks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”