timing on a 1.6 sohc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
hpcbmw

timing on a 1.6 sohc

Post by hpcbmw »

I replaced the disty on the 93 mx-3 to clear the 03 crank sensor code and it worked! Immediately set timing to 10 degrees (with ten/grd jumped) and ran the car to the smog shop. The car passed smog (yeah!) but now it seems to be a little low on power. I didn't check the timing before I pulled the old disty.

Do you guys normally advance the timing a bit more for more power? What's a good number to shoot for? Also, the timing mark on the engine has "10" and "T" with notches in between. It looks like advancing the timing goes past the "10" and further away from the "T" - is this correct (does it make sense?).

Thanks for all the help!
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: timing on a 1.6 sohc

Post by umcamara »

You have to put the car in diagnostic mode when you adjust the timing (jump TEN and Ground). Did you do that?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

hpcbmw wrote:Immediately set timing to 10 degrees (with ten/grd jumped) and ran the car to the smog shop.
umcamara wrote:You have to put the car in diagnostic mode when you adjust the timing (jump TEN and Ground). Did you do that?
;)

The car should definitely bet set to 10* advance. Changing that wont do a thing since the ECU actually automatically advances the timing as you accelerate I believe.

Did you by any chance forget to pull the jumper out? I don't think you'll have as much power in diagnostic mode.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Ahhh.... I missed that. Sorry guys. As you were buh-bye...
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
hpcbmw

Post by hpcbmw »

Ya, I took the jumper out. Just drove the car about 100 miles - it's a little less powerful and seems to stumble when i accelerate in 4th or 5th from mid rpm range. Still pulls nicely on top. I wonder if the old disty had it running lean somehow, and that gave me extra power. Not sure how a disty would make it lean, though. Changed plugs, pcv valve, cap, rotor and plug wires after I changed disty, just before getting it smogged.
Any ideas? Oh - temps here went from mid 60's last week to high 80's this weekend. Maybe that made a difference?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

There's also a debate about whether the jumper should be pulled before or after turning off the engine. I've always pulled the jumper, then shut off the engine, then restarted later for testing. This seems to be the procedure that the online manual encourages as well.

Did you recheck your timing after having done all this, then turning engine off, then restarting and allowing it to reach NORMAL operating temp?
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

My senior mechanic (30+ years, does all the electrical) pulls out the jumper before turning off the vehicle. I really really trust his knowledge base.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”