Codes 8, 10 and 16.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
onlytrueromeo

Codes 8, 10 and 16.

Post by onlytrueromeo »

My car finally decided to throw me some codes. I've known I've had an air leak for awhile, the problem is I just cant seem to find it. It's not in my intake tube or any of the hoses that connect directly to it. It makes an annoying psshh sound while the car is running, but hasnt affected performance, though it has affected gas mileage. Well, today I get all three codes. I cleaned up the EGR valve about 8-9 months ago, and I don't think that's the problem, though I could be wrong. I tried spraying some electrical parts cleaner on the MAF but that didn't seem to help. I don't even know where my IAT is? The manual says to check wiring from terminal C to ground, but I don't know what that means either. It's a bit windy out so it's not so nice to stand outside looking under a hood that I feel will pop down on my head.

Suggestions?
onlytrueromeo

Re: Codes 8, 10 and 16.

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Correction, I somehow misread the wiring diagram and will be checking the wiring to see if it's broken.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Well I couldn't see where the wire I was looking for went, I believe it runs next to the base of the battery and grounds somewhere in there, but it's almost dark and I don't want to pull the battery out.

Here are some more symptoms. Since the CEL came on, the car stalls when it idles, bounces maybe once or twice and shakes a bit then dead. I can keep it running by revving it at the stoplights. It REFUSES to run in limp mode w/ the paperclip in GND and TEN.

Help, I need the car so I can get back and forth to college classes :(
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

BUMP still need help :( It's rainy and cold outside :(
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

what year is you mx3?
if its a 92-93 sohc the IAT is buil into the maf.
Pull the filter off and see that little yellow thing hanging down?
Yea thats it.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I've got a '95. I did some playing around in the engine bay today. Found the stupid little airhose thats been "dangling" since I've owned the car (the little tiny one that I guess is supposed to go into the airbox). The end was all gunked up, so I cut it off and it has a nice clean hole to suck air in/out of (I dont know what this line does but when I bought the car it was plugged up with a screw and ran poorly). Now that is is clear of debris, the engine seems to b running better. Weird that a 1/8" hole could cause those problems. My car is still making a loud psshh sound, I only really notice it when I go outside the car, and my mileage is still piss poor after doing the HEI mod and a number of other things. I have a breather filter coming for my valve cover, as there is a certain amount of garbage going into the intake from it, and I'd rather kill the environment just a little more than my car.

We'll see if what I did actually fixed anything or it's just a freak coincidence. I did only drive like 4 miles today.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya your intake air temp sensor is inside your MAF sensor. if there is a vacuum leak after the maf, un metered air is allowed into the engine and it will run lean and the oxygen sensor will run the car rich. which is where you loose your gas mileage. and that line goes to the one of your EGR solenoids on your intake manifold. lots of people have their broken off. ya dont plug that the engine barely idles. check your intake manifold gasket for leaks. so when you connect a jumper wire to TEN and GRND can you hear the cooling fans come on? and are you sure your jumping the right terminals? maybe clean your intake or your tb because its probably gunked up with carbon, and replace the pcv valve if you havnt yet. if you dont have a stethescope try using a pipe or a screw driver looking for those noises or spray bottle of soap and water. best of luck
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”