My conundrum

Off-Topic Discussions
sk8erdude802

My conundrum

Post by sk8erdude802 »

So my mx-3 fanaticisim has been wavering in the past year and Ive almost fell off the wave alltogether twice but been pulled back by the words from my GF....I may be infact thinking of keeping my MX-3 now rather than selling it. The bad news is that Id have to use it as my daily driver. Its the same car that Mnemonic built and Ive put some time into it making it drivable. Basically my DD took a crap on me and I really didnt expect it to so now Im at the point were I could sell the MX-3s and buy something else as a DD or I could continue to fix up the running MX-3 and part out the old one while driving the ZE 60 miles round trip daily...meh...its all so gay. Comments? Ideas? I know most of you will side with Holley but thats expected....(I think Ive really made up my mind I just need to hear more on it, thanks Holley)

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: My conundrum

Post by Mooneggs »

I was in this situation a while back and my GF was telling me I was crazy for thinking about getting rid of my mx-3's. She just didn't want to hear me complaining about how depressed I was that I got rid of them :D

What you need to ask yourself is: Will I regret this decision if I get rid of my mx-3's?

Everyone I know that got rid of their mx-3 has regretted it... not to sound threatening but everyone on this board knows the mx-3 is a special car and we all chose it for similar reasons. As much as I get mad at my cars when I have to do maintenance on them either because they are old or I screwed something up, at the end of the day I love my cars and I will never get rid of them.

Also something to think about - for the price you would sell your mx-3's what are you going to buy instead? a better MPG honda? And what if you get a new car? now you've got a car note every month for the amount you would pay for probably 3 months of repari/maintenance on the mx-3 - which is fairly cheap to maintain IMO.
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Do what will make you happy and don't worry about what other people think. When I turned my Protege into my project car I picked up the MX3 for real cheap to use as my daily driver. Then the MX3 took a s--- on me. I decided to park the MX3, scrap the Protege and buy a new car. I wanted something newer that I didn't have to fix a million things on just to make it drivable. I was tired of fixing one thing just to find something else that was broken. I ended up in a brand new 2006 Subaru WRX. It was a great car, I loved it to death and had big plans for her. The MX3 sat in my driveway for almost 2 years in need of a new engine. I almost got rid of the MX3 a few times, but I held on to it. I don't think I would have regretted getting rid of the car though. Then one day the WRX found itself wrapped around a tree and laying on it's side in a grove of trees (that sucked BTW). I could have bought another new car, but I decided to fix the MX3 instead. The MX3 is payed off so I don't have to worry about a car payment now, which is really nice. If I didn't still have the MX3, I probably would have just saved up money for a few months and bought another used Subaru. I don't regret ditching the MX3 and buying the WRX one bit. I miss her and the sweet boxer rumble everyday. I had always wanted a WRX so I bought one. I loved the fact that I had a car that ran great, I only had to perform regular maintenance on it and if something did go awry, I had a full warranty. In the end it worked out that I still had the MX3 sitting around. It's not by choice, but now I will be back in a Mazda as soon as the swap is done in the MX3. I still have a lot of work left, and things have moved slower than I had planned, but I don't care this time around. I will probably drive the MX3 for a while and just save money. When the time is right I will probably get another Subaru. Probably a 05 STI this time though. Why? Because that will make me happy. I will probably keep the MX3 around though. So like I said, do what will make you happy.
2003 Subaru WRX
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

People almost beg to sell their RS's. I thought about getting one, and setting it up for best MPG. I've studied this, and think I could average 40 MPG out of an RS. MAybe you could trade the parts car for one.
My ZE is my DD, and I average about 27 MPG street/ HWY. I could do better, if it wasn't so fun.
If I were in your situation, I'd sell the parts car (after putting the best stuff in the other), and just keep fixing the DD (if needed).
My GS's have been very reliable. In fact, they are the most reliable cars I've had (out of about 20 vehicles).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

You know, every time I drive in a different car, I am more satisfied with my MX-3.
As of late, I've driven newer accords, camrys, both newer and older saturns, mid-90's civics... and every time I get in the seat of either my GS or RS, I am more in love with them. Quick, nimble and a joy to ride every day. They really do put a smile on my face.. and with these cars, unlike my truck I had before them, I am happy to drive anywhere and not be dissatisfied.

Yes, this is my own experience and not exactly everyone else's... but I've had everything fall apart on my GS since I bought it... and even though she's been a money pit for a couple months, I still love her and do it all over again.

And my RS? heck yeah. Slow? Yes. Still fun? Absolutely.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

even though 350z, WRX, etc do tempt me I insist to myself to keep mx-3 as
It looks good for 93
gets decent mpg
quick and handles nice
practical as my d/d even with winter, unless we get over 2ft of snow like last winter, then IM stuck lol
I'd rather invest money into equity than buy a newer car right now. I guess my priorities change as i get older
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I recently really missed my Mercedes SL so much, that I got one on Ebay. I remembered it being really fun to drive, but compared to my MX3s (even the stock GS), it's pretty heavy feeling, so I'm selling it. Sometimes you have to try to get rid of something to realize how much better off you are having it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

fowljesse wrote:People almost beg to sell their RS's. I thought about getting one, and setting it up for best MPG. I've studied this, and think I could average 40 MPG out of an RS. MAybe you could trade the parts car for one.
Thats a really good idea. I may in fact look into doing that. Thanks!!!!

Steve-O

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I haven't seriously considered getting rid of my mx-3. But I have driven other, much higher performance cars of my friends. Even after driving a silvia with around 230hp, my mx-3 is still more fun. Everything else just feels heavy and clumsy.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I drove the car around the block a couple times yesterday and it made me want to keep it even more. haha. Im hoping to start swapping over more parts as soon as the weather clears up and I get some time off work. Im a full time student and working 40+ hours at RadioShack cause were down to three employees at my store. So pretty much Im a slave till we get a new person trained.

Steve-O

MyFeedBackThread
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Most of you know, I haven't been back long. Alot of you dont even remember me at all. I spoke to a few of you in instant message mainly on yahoo, around 2005. I had a 4 banger MX-3. It was a small, slow, but fun and sporty car. The design of the car is just awsome in my opinion. You know, The older guys like there Nova's... etc...
I like the MX-3. I went to a car dealership, seen many cars. I had a choice of either... Eclipse Spider, Camero... and quite a few others. Once I see the MX-3... It was all over with. So... I came back. Of course you may get tired of the car, and go threw your fazes... Stay true to yourself ...
You know what you want to do and what will make you happy overall.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Most of you know, I haven't been back long. Alot of you dont even remember me at all. I spoke to a few of you in instant message mainly on yahoo, around 2005. I had a 4 banger MX-3. It was a small, slow, but fun and sporty car. The design of the car is just awsome in my opinion. You know, The older guys like there Nova's... etc...
I like the MX-3. I went to a car dealership, seen many cars. I had a choice of either... Eclipse Spider, Camero... and quite a few others. Once I see the MX-3... It was all over with. So... I came back. Of course you may get tired of the car, and go threw your fazes... Stay true to yourself ...
You know what you want to do and what will make you happy overall.
this story reminds me of when I bought my first mx-3! I was about to go back to the dealership and pay for a 93 4 door integra (my first car) when they had rolled out the 94 mazda mx-3 creek blue mica, it had just been washed and I was like HOLY CRAP what kind of car is that?! It was beautiful, love at first sight and then I bought it! the rest is history!
PushnFords

Post by PushnFords »

Keep the fun car and buy a $500 beater to drive to work. That's what I do....

Derek
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Yeah my dad paid to have the tranny rebuilt in the buick (My DD) so Im driving it again. its a good and bad thing. Im not in the need to sell the MX-3 now but the thing right now is Im thinking about keeping the car but I may have a for real buyer...isnt that a kick in the pants. As soon as I decide Im going to keep it someone comes and says hey Imma buy it from you...SO Im going to see what turns out with this guy and then probably keep it if he doesnt buy it. I may just freakin keep it anyway. I cant buy another MX-3 and put the stuff in it that the car I have has for what Im selling it for...Meh. the weathers getting nice and Im getting to the point where I just want to go lay under a car.

Steve-O

MyFeedBackThread

Return to “Off-Topic”